Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a new 87 gallon tank and I have never had a tank on hardwood floors. So I thought about maybe putting something like furniture sliders under the stand. Not that I plan on moving it ever, but I am a firm believe in future proofing and planning for all possible outcomes.

I don't want to do casters, because then I would either have to stare at casters or extend the stand and use magnets to hold stuff in place to hide the wheels.

Has anyone done something like this...? Id love ideas. Tank is 1/2" glass with additional bracing, so tank and stand alone are close to 400lbs

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably not the best idea to move a full tank...

At 87 gallons you could probably take out 2/3 - 3/4th of the water and be able to move it.
I wouldn't move a full tank...I would drain a large portion of it...but even at half full with rock, sand and water equating to roughly 10lbs per gallon, puts it at around 800lbs. Still a decent shove and worry about floors and damage moving it...where if there was something that might lessen that and make it easier, I dont think would be a bad idea.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if you can find one of those plastic panels they use in offices under the rolling chairs. Get one large enough to extend the sides and front so your covered from spills and drips on the hardwood floors. Won't make it easier to move but will help protect the floor. Only thing that will help moving it is taking most of the water and rock out.

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be a pain to level it most likely on sliders.. on the floor is your best bet! And moving it with anything in it is dangerous

it would only be in an emergency situation and there is a chance it may never move other then if we moved homes. Much of the water would be removed if I needed to move it. I don't think leveling would be an issue, if you had all the same pads at all corners, sides and in the center...but I could be wrong.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would only be in an emergency situation and there is a chance it may never move other then if we moved homes. Much of the water would be removed if I needed to move it. I don't think leveling would be an issue, if you had all the same pads at all corners, sides and in the center...but I could be wrong.
I’d put it on the floor that’s the best bet.. if you ever have to move it you have to drain it regardless… if that ever happens drain it and put the sliders under it and move it.. I recently just did this with a 60gal cube and it was 1/4 full and still a pain to move it! I don’t recommend it and won’t do it again.. that tank is gone and my new one is over 4000 pounds so it’s not a option lol

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would see if you can find one of those plastic panels they use in offices under the rolling chairs. Get one large enough to extend the sides and front so your covered from spills and drips on the hardwood floors. Won't make it easier to move but will help protect the floor. Only thing that will help moving it is taking most of the water and rock out.
Casters could easily move a tank. They make casters that are rated at thousands of pounds each. So there are options, to a move a tank, once it has been drained of the water. However, like I stated...I don't want to use them and I do worry about 5 small points of contact on the floors as opposed to it being spread evenly like it would with just stand.

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d put it on the floor that’s the best bet.. if you ever have to move it you have to drain it regardless… if that ever happens drain it and put the sliders under it and move it.. I recently just did this with a 60gal cube and it was 1/4 full and still a pain to move it! I don’t recommend it and won’t do it again.. that tank is gone and my new one is over 4000 pounds so it’s not a option lol
Yes, i don't imagine it being a fun time. It is why I thought maybe putting something that has less friction under, in that one off circumstance might be prudent.

Avast

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i don't imagine it being a fun time. It is why I thought maybe putting something that has less friction under, in that one off circumstance might be prudent.
I bought the foam ones made for hard wood and it didn’t slide that easy… no way i would leave a tank on them as they’re Foam and don’t support the stand very well..

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought the foam ones made for hard wood and it didn’t slide that easy… no way i would leave a tank on them as they’re Foam and don’t support the stand very well..
I am considering these...https://www.casterdepot.com/footmaster/gdr-80f-uw?_vsrefdom=www.google.com 4 at the corners and one in the center. These are good, because I can level, have a dynamic load rating of 1,100lbs per. Again I worry about only 5 points of contact on the floor, also on the underside of the stand..plus either looking at them or having to add to the stand and hide them.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering these...https://www.casterdepot.com/footmaster/gdr-80f-uw?_vsrefdom=www.google.com 4 at the corners and one in the center. These are good, because I can level, have a dynamic load rating of 1,100lbs per. Again I worry about only 5 points of contact on the floor, also on the underside of the stand..plus either looking at them or having to add to the stand and hide them.
I think you’ve made up your mind lol! Go for it! Let us know how it works out if and when you decide to move the tank..

World Wide Corals

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 87 gallon tank and I have never had a tank on hardwood floors. So I thought about maybe putting something like furniture sliders under the stand. Not that I plan on moving it ever, but I am a firm believe in future proofing and planning for all possible outcomes.

I don't want to do casters, because then I would either have to stare at casters or extend the stand and use magnets to hold stuff in place to hide the wheels.

Has anyone done something like this...? Id love ideas. Tank is 1/2" glass with additional bracing, so tank and stand alone are close to 400lbs
Just cut these (or something similar) into 1" strips and put on the bottom of the stand around the edge...

I've done this with 3 tanks so far - works great!

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just cut these (or something similar) into 1" strips and put on the bottom of the stand around the edge...

I've done this with 3 tanks so far - works great!

Sweet. Glad to see you have had some success. Did you glue them on or did they have sticky backing that was sufficient?

Nutramar Foods

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that. I added handles to the bottom of my stand on either end. They act as jacking point where I can slide an automotive floor jack under a handle, lift, slide a furniture dolly under that end and repeat the process on the other side. Move emptied tank and stand to wherever I want, use floor jack in reverse order to lower the setup back onto the floor, refill and good to go.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Casters could easily move a tank. They make casters that are rated at thousands of pounds each. So there are options, to a move a tank, once it has been drained of the water. However, like I stated...I don't want to use them and I do worry about 5 small points of contact on the floors as opposed to it being spread evenly like it would with just stand.
A tank can easily be moved without casters as well. Lift one end slide cardboard under then do the same at the other end and slide it through the house. Been there done that more than once. My suggestion was more about protecting your hardwood floors. An 87gallon tank would be easy peasy to move. I move 180 gallon tanks by myself and take them on and off the stand. You get creative when living in a rural area and have no friends ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Glad to see you have had some success. Did you glue them on or did they have sticky backing that was sufficient?
They have sticky backing that's plenty strong.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back