Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this grew up over the week... At first I assumed I needed to treat for an algae growth (prob do but that's another post). Fortunately this is on a loose stone so I got some pretty good closeups. I bought a 'clump o frag' bits n pieces for $20 at my LFS. most of it died ... but this one fern, normally about 2-4 inches tall, migrated to this rock. It is incredibly difficult to see, but it is still there ... Im guessing .75 - 1.25 mm tall (yeah millimeters... the other was inches). The intriguing part is this bright green .... carpet?... spot on the rock currently ~1" diameter. Anybody got thoughts? I'm noting the density of gray under the green (the rock was solid covered in Coraline algae to start). That causes me to wonder... not algae???
20230519_175101.jpg

BRS

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting! I wonder if some of the algae experts in here might know. @Tigahboy do you have any ideas?

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
a few more days in the tank
.. this thing appears to be something more than algae to me...
Cant see it clearly on my phone but looks like a St. Thomas mushroom

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is it, but I honestly love how it looks.

Maybe an encrusting sponge of some kind? I've never seen one with that deep green, but I have seen black encrusting sponges that are super thin like this. What's really throwing me is that it seems to be translucent (you can see this if you look close at the most recent pic, particularly if you look around the edges at the bottom).

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dude64

Dude64

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is it, but I honestly love how it looks.

Maybe an encrusting sponge of some kind? I've never seen one with that deep green, but I have seen black encrusting sponges that are super thin like this. What's really throwing me is that it seems to be translucent (you can see this if you look close at the most recent pic, particularly if you look around the edges at the bottom).
That sounds likely as this lacks a pronounced mushroom center and or edge definition... I found post from 'scubafrog' a few years back with a similar yellow growth ("Yellow slime on rock - Is it a sponge?") and aside from color this looks to be in that genre. Thanks... I will watch and take more pics.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back