+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peroxide is complicated.
How it works in dips (direct high concentration oxidative damage) and how it seems to work for some in tank-wide use against algae are probably not exactly the same mechanisms.
I wonder what level of H2O2 it takes to affect the oxidation of metals. I'm guessing lower than test kit detection.
I'm surprised @atoll detected none. I'd guess tiny amounts leak out with the bubbles from the oxydator.

Fun weirdness: My Green Star Polyps are as sensitive to peroxide as my test strips. As long as the strips could detect H2O2 in my tank, the polyps were at least partially retracted. Once the polyps looked fully extended, the strips no longer could measure any peroxide.
If you mean I detected being none you mean peroxide then the test strips only go down to less than 0.5%. I don't have star polyps in mu tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peroxide is complicated.
How it works in dips (direct high concentration oxidative damage) and how it seems to work for some in tank-wide use against algae are probably not exactly the same mechanisms.
I wonder what level of H2O2 it takes to affect the oxidation of metals. I'm guessing lower than test kit detection.
I'm surprised @atoll detected none. I'd guess tiny amounts leak out with the bubbles from the oxydator.

Fun weirdness: My Green Star Polyps are as sensitive to peroxide as my test strips. As long as the strips could detect H2O2 in my tank, the polyps were at least partially retracted. Once the polyps looked fully extended, the strips no longer could measure any peroxide.
I think the bubbles form outside of the container, the bubbling cause by the catalysts I think stay in the container.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide is broken down within the acrylic Bell. This creates pressure in the bell which forces peroxide out of it. As the peroxide exits the bell much comes in contact with the inter walls of the ceramic beaker which is made of a similar clay material as the catalysts and breaks down into super oxygen. These are the bubbles seen exiting the Oxydator. Any peroxide that escapes the beaker quickly reacts with organics in the water completing the process.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be sure or foolishly I added my oxydator A with 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts as I have been doing for a few years. All was well no signs of any adverse effects on my nems as expected After a couple of hours I decided to replace the oxydator A with the W and 3 catalysts as before and to take a peroxide test.

Not surprisingly both nems reacted with pinched tentacles again. I removed the oxydator as before but this time I did a test strip peroxide test which showed 10ppm residual peroxide.

I will replace the oxydator A tomorrow as before then all being well replace the A with the W again. However, this time instead of using 3 catalysts I will use just 2 so the same as my Oxydator A just with a larger capacity of peroxide. In theory the W with 2 catalysts shouldn't be a problem at all, we shall see.
The test strip.showing 10ppm residual peroxide.
Take no notice of the dark edges to the test strip I accidently touched some peroxide with it.

20230302_203121.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing.
I reduced the number of catalysts to 2 with 12% peroxide in the model W and replaced the model A with it. Once again both my nems reacted negatively.
I can only conclude that the model W, at least initially, dispensed more peroxide than the model A on first introduction. I have removed it and will reduce the peroxide concentration to 9% and refit it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for that.

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing.
I reduced the number of catalysts to 2 with 12% peroxide in the model W and replaced the model A with it. Once again both my nems reacted negatively.
I can only conclude that the model W, at least initially, dispensed more peroxide than the model A on first introduction. I have removed it and will reduce the peroxide concentration to 9% and refit it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for that.
Is the discharge hole on the "E" bigger than the "A"?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the discharge hole on the "E" bigger than the "A"?
At first Inthoughtbnonwhy would they. However, I Just had a look at both with a magnifying glass and I think.youbarevrightnthe W seems to have a slightly bigger hole. Strange yet again.

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first Inthoughtbnonwhy would they. However, I Just had a look at both with a magnifying glass and I think.youbarevrightnthe W seems to have a slightly bigger hole. Strange yet again.
This may explain the slightly larger hole being the "E" will hold more volume of air: "When a gas occupies a smaller volume, it exerts a higher pressure; when it occupies a larger volume, it exerts a lower pressure (assuming the amount of gas and the temperature do not change)"
Had to look this up. This is not my quote. So If the "E" has a slightly larger hole this would make sense because of the larger volume of air. I am wondering if when the tank is completely full it will allow more peroxide to escape than when the tank is let's say half full. Just a thought.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may explain the slightly larger hole being the "E" will hold more volume of air: "When a gas occupies a smaller volume, it exerts a higher pressure; when it occupies a larger volume, it exerts a lower pressure (assuming the amount of gas and the temperature do not change)"
Had to look this up. This is not my quote. So If the "E" has a slightly larger hole this would make sense because of the larger volume of air. I am wondering if when the tank is completely full it will allow more peroxide to escape than when the tank is let's say half full. Just a thought.
Well whatever the reasin the w or releasing more peroxide with 12% and 2 catalysts than the A with the same in it.
I have a friend who has experienced similar in his tank which is 3 times my volume (around 300 gallons) of water and with big tangs, other fish and inverts. He noticed he could not but 12% with 4 catalysts in his model W without his nems reacting to it.

Nutramar Foods

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good demonstration that some combos of peroxide strength and catalysts release h2o2 into tank. And act as slow release peroxide. Lasse found the same with his oxydator by measuring ORP.
Strips might be a good confirmation to ensure that released amounts are below detection. I don't know that detectable peroxide in the water constantly would be desirable.

robertifly

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting conversation I too will be tagging along to see what develops, I have an "A" model coming Monday if all goes as planned and UPS doesn't go astray. I have a 90gal DT and around 15 gal sump the tank is lightly stocked fish very few corals, one photo sea fan, one mushroom, one acan, one leather, and 2 small anemoe (a split).

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good demonstration that some combos of peroxide strength and catalysts release h2o2 into tank. And act as slow release peroxide. Lasse found the same with his oxydator by measuring ORP.
Strips might be a good confirmation to ensure that released amounts are below detection. I don't know that detectable peroxide in the water constantly would be desirable.
The amount released versus how long the peroxide stays in the water before it is nullified if you like with it's reaction with organics in the water. We are lead to believe peroxide shouldn't stay around long and is quickly used up in it's released form. Unfortunately the strips only measure down to <0.5ppm which isn't really low enough I don't think.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have total volume around 350 to 360 gallons. I purchased 2 model a's to put in aquarium after getn terrible ich break. I ran 6% in each with 2 catalyst while going hypo in display.

Once hypo was over I brought salt levels back up with no issues and then started adding euyphlia. No issues.

After several weeks of running with all fish back in display after qt.
I started to see some of my fish scratching every now and then on the sand. It was perplexing as they were Crystal clear with no signs of ich. I let this go on for weeks just monitoring the fish for spots. All clean but still sime scatched every now and then. At least some of them.

I stopped using the oxydators and the scratching went away. My guess was that some of the fish still may have had some healing spots on them from the qt process and the low amount of peroxide in water was making the open wounds itch a bit like it would on us if we put peroxide on cut.

I didn't have any test kit, this was only a guess. So following along to see everyone's experience. I have these now in closet to use when needed. I didn't have my anemone in tank when I was using the oxydators so this is good to know. Thanks for posting info.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have total volume around 350 to 360 gallons. I purchased 2 model a's to put in aquarium after getn terrible ich break. I ran 6% in each with 2 catalyst while going hypo in display.

Once hypo was over I brought salt levels back up with no issues and then started adding euyphlia. No issues.

After several weeks of running with all fish back in display after qt.
I started to see some of my fish scratching every now and then on the sand. It was perplexing as they were Crystal clear with no signs of ich. I let this go on for weeks just monitoring the fish for spots. All clean but still sime scatched every now and then. At least some of them.

I stopped using the oxydators and the scratching went away. My guess was that some of the fish still may have had some healing spots on them from the qt process and the low amount of peroxide in water was making the open wounds itch a bit like it would on us if we put peroxide on cut.

I didn't have any test kit, this was only a guess. So following along to see everyone's experience. I have these now in closet to use when needed. I didn't have my anemone in tank when I was using the oxydators so this is good to know. Thanks for posting info.

Many fish IME will do the odd bit of scratching now and again. I don't think it's necessarily a sign of parasites nor the effects of low levels of peroxide of which their should be little if not none
in the water. My dog scratches himself now and again and he has no parasites or skin condition. I even scratch now and again

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree that fish can scratch every now and then.....however. this is not my first rodeo and have been reefing for some time and have fish that are over 20 years old so I know there habits. If you see them scratching on a daily basis then it's an issue. If you stop what you think may be causing them to itch and they stop scratching......

Nutramar Foods

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount released versus how long the peroxide stays in the water before it is nullified if you like with it's reaction with organics in the water. We are lead to believe peroxide shouldn't stay around long and is quickly used up in it's released form. Unfortunately the strips only measure down to <0.5ppm which isn't really low enough I don't think.
Here are some low range test strips that go down to <0.05ppm. Not sure how accurate.

Industrial Test Systems Sensafe 481015 Peroxide Test Strip, Low Range, 50 Seconds Test Time, 0.05-4 ppm Range (Bottle of 50)

Industrial Test Systems Sensafe 481015 Peroxide Test Strip, Low Range, 50 Seconds Test Time, 0.05-4 ppm Range (Bottle of 50)

4.44.4 out of 5 stars (14)
$39.24$39.24 ($0.78/Count)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount released versus how long the peroxide stays in the water before it is nullified if you like with it's reaction with organics in the water. We are lead to believe peroxide shouldn't stay around long and is quickly used up in it's released form.
That turns out to be not quite true.
Jay hemdal article found peroxide persisting for 24hr+.

Others measuring peroxide rate of consumption in tanks have found similar. It can stick around for hours or over a day at a modest dose.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That turns out to be not quite true.
Jay hemdal article found peroxide persisting for 24hr+.

Others measuring peroxide rate of consumption in tanks have found similar. It can stick around for hours or over a day at a modest dose.
"A 25-ppm solution of hydrogen peroxide in strongly aerated seawater still measured > 20 ppm after 72 hours"

So I assume the dose was added all on one go rather than over a longer period of time, have I got that right? An oxydator administers peroxide continously 24/7.

"The conclusion is that hydrogen peroxide breaks down faster in the presence of organic material, and this releases oxygen."

Which is exactly what the Oxydator is designed to do.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back