So whats the secret to keeping yumas and rics?

BRS
Nutramar Foods

Shultz

Spiderman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept mine on the bottom of the tank in moderate flow & the y grow/split like wild fire???

Don't do anything special & thats a 24" deep tank under 150w MH's?

Cheers Shelton.

Top Shelf Aquatics

AngieN.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have luck with some purple yumas I got a few months ago. Looked good at first then like you said yours did, slowly melted away until all 5 or 6 of them were gone. I don't think it's uncommon for this to happen. I did get a britht/neon green yuma from the LFS that I believe was a trade in and it has done well also. My R. Florida have done very well (orange, green, blue) although they split slowly. I don't do anything special for them and they are at the bottom portion of the tank under 250w 14k hqi MH. It is a 24" deep tank as well. I don't think I would buy any wild yumas again, just ones from other reefers that have been well established.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through7 hot pink yumas in the last 2-3 years.....All melted after about 2 weeks...I no longer try and keep them any more....Which is sad casue the hot pink ones are my favorite of all corals....

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
I have been through7 hot pink yumas in the last 2-3 years.....All melted after about 2 weeks...I no longer try and keep them any more....Which is sad casue the hot pink ones are my favorite of all corals....

yup.. I'm hoping for the best on my pink Yuma.. so far so good.. almost 2 months.. :)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin I think you are past the time bomb I think....If it hasn't donr it now it probably won't...I think the first 2 weeks to a month are the telling time....If they are gonna do it it will be during that period...I can pretty mich tell if none is gonna go south now....The one LFS that I get a bunch of my zoanthids from will ask me to look at them when they get yumas in to check them out and give a second opinion. They have had quite afew yumas go south on them to....

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JGoslee said:
Can they tolerate high flow? Im blasting my tank with 2 tunze6000's. Its a 36" tank.

IMO, they don't tolerate high flow.. they will close up and will have a hard time opening up...

mine is under low flow and only on PC lighting.. I plan on placing it under a brach rock on the new tank since I'm now using MH.. :D

CLICK TO VIEW

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
Marvin I think you are past the time bomb I think....If it hasn't donr it now it probably won't...I think the first 2 weeks to a month are the telling time....If they are gonna do it it will be during that period...I can pretty mich tell if none is gonna go south now....The one LFS that I get a bunch of my zoanthids from will ask me to look at them when they get yumas in to check them out and give a second opinion. They have had quite afew yumas go south on them to....

hope so... 8)

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeppelin said:
If you have allot of light, try shading them a bit also. Yumas dont like allot of light, IME.
Besides having alot of flow, I also have alot of light(2-250de 14k). Makes sense now. I have all the wrong conditions to keep yuma's LOL.

jasert39

tang wrangler
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am adding my first ric tonight...this was a very intresting read, I am going to keep mine low in the tank and see what happens at first.

Dont to derail this thread but how fast generally speaking do ric multiply? Fast growers, slow growers?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jasert39 said:
i am adding my first ric tonight...this was a very intresting read, I am going to keep mine low in the tank and see what happens at first.

Dont to derail this thread but how fast generally speaking do ric multiply? Fast growers, slow growers?

depending if you have FL ric or ric Yuma..

FL rics don't mind med - high lights if acclimated right... Yuma's are opposite.. when I move mine from the office nano (PC), I'll find a overhang or right under the overflow box..

good luck..

as for how fast they grow, they'll need time to settle, then most will take off..

Mr. Ugly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink and orange yumas supposedly are more sensitive to temps, and like to be at slightly lower temps than others.

I've also heard that if they've been overheated at some point along the way to you, they might not show it until they melt a couple weeks later.

I'd go for Tonga temps for those particular yuma... mid 70's to be safe.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back