Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i decided to feed a little be more mysis shrimp today like double what i’m used to because my nutrients were low but then my tank is now going through a bacteria bloom could that be the cause because if it is then i’m lost for words and how do i fix this

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

shwareefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrifying bacteria blooms in of themselves are not harmful and will self consume/ find a home over a couple days. In other words you don't have to do anything.

However, not knowing your system volume or what "double" is, it's hard to say whether you would have an ammonia then nitrite peak of potentially toxic levels. Unless you dumped a 1/4 cup of mysis in a just cycled 20 gallon, I suspect you will be fine. If you have concerns, test for ammonia and watch your inhabitants for signs of stress. If you have high ammonia values/stressed occupants/just can't sleep, do a couple back to back water changes.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrifying bacteria blooms in of themselves are not harmful and will self consume/ find a home over a couple days. In other words you don't have to do anything.

However, not knowing your system volume or what "double" is, it's hard to say whether you would have an ammonia then nitrite peak of potentially toxic levels. Unless you dumped a 1/4 cup of mysis in a just cycled 20 gallon, I suspect you will be fine. If you have concerns, test for ammonia and watch your inhabitants for signs of stress. If you have high ammonia values/stressed occupants/just can't sleep, do a couple back to back water changes.
i did a 10% water change but if i measured it the frozen food when it’s mesured out was probably like i dont know how to explain this like a pinch full of mysis shrimp but today i fed two pinches

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i decided to feed a little be more mysis shrimp today like double what i’m used to because my nutrients were low but then my tank is now going through a bacteria bloom could that be the cause because if it is then i’m lost for words and how do i fix this
When you say “bacteria bloom” do you mean cloudy water or what?

How many hours between feeding and the bloom?

How old is your system?

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say “bacteria bloom” do you mean cloudy water or what?

How many hours between feeding and the bloom?

How old is your system?
my system is 8 months old now or more and it’s cloudy water and i feed the tank every morning around 9 and it clouded up at 11

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my system is 8 months old now or more and it’s cloudy water and i feed the tank every morning around 9 and it clouded up at 11
It sounds like a bacterial bloom. If it was caused by the food addition, I would predict it will clear in a day or so. If by “twice as much food was added” means a large amount of food, the cloudiness will linger and there might be an ammonia spike.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a bacterial bloom. If it was caused by the food addition, I would predict it will clear in a day or so. If by “twice as much food was added” means a large amount of food, the cloudiness will linger and there might be an ammonia spike.
ok it’s starting to be less cloudy and i read put an air stone in because oxygen levels get lowered so i did that as well is there anything else i can do besides those two things also here’s a picture of the tank now it definitely improved

CE0608B8-6C5D-4122-8A79-A5B519AD89AC.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok it’s starting to be less cloudy and i read put an air stone in because oxygen levels get lowered so i did that as well is there anything else i can do besides those two things also here’s a picture of the tank now it definitely improved

View attachment 1790253
Sounds like you have done all that you can do.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depending on the kalk/RO ratio you are doing, that may cause cloudy water. 1 tsp of kalk needs a minimum of 64 ounces of water to dissolve properly.
ok i just dissolved it in a gallon like a lot of people said too but i didn’t think it was an alk problem cuz my tank smelled bad

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aim the return or one of your pumps at the water surface, the pic looks like there isnt enough surface agitation.
there’s actually a lot of surface agitation i can’t really take a video but the entire tanks surface moves especially on the side that the water pumps back out into the display

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back