Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the saltwater reef tank. Two or three weeks ago I bought two white Snow Storm clownfish. One died and one is missing. I think Flake (fish name) is either dead or hiding in the back of the tank. Unfortunately, Snow died. I think one of the neon blue devil damsel did this. Because my another other orange clownfish fish was trying to keep the neon blue devil damsel from Flake. This morning she is gone.
Also the second orange clownfish is gone maybe a week ago.
All four of the clownfish got along.

Any suggestions?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are notorious for picking each other off. What's the size of your tank and what all do you have for reef inhabitants?

welcome.jpg

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns are bullies. they’re nice at first then change later on once established. from when you did see them in the tank, did any show signs illness?

welcome aboard the r2r board!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
cathihaas

cathihaas

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Tank is 90 gallon
Button coral, star polpy, 1 mushroom, 3 sponges, one of the sponge has a claim under it, 2 neon blue devil damsel, 1 chrodamasel that hides, 1 small watchmen goby, 2 cardinals, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 blood shrimp, 1 orange and white clownfish, different small frags, 2 bubble tip amone's.

Saltinty 1.024
All other are in range
Tank about a month old. We transferred some from an old tank that was established

OP
OP
cathihaas

cathihaas

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns are bullies. they’re nice at first then change later on once established. from when you did see them in the tank, did any show signs illness?

welcome aboard the r2r board!
The two snow storms were at the bottom of the tank laying down and fins moving. They sleep on the sand at night

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

Tank about a month old. We transferred some from an old tank that was established
Slow down, wait, your system is a month old, this is one of the reasons you are losing fish. I would suggest to wait another 30 days to let your system get more established before adding any more fish. Do you have a clean up crew? The clean up crew would be the first thing I would add wait two weeks, add a couple of Harty corals, then add a fish our two.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
cathihaas

cathihaas

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2950992

Slow down, wait, your system is a month old, this is one of the reasons you are losing fish. I would suggest to wait another 30 days to let your system get more established before adding any more fish. Do you have a clean up crew? The clean up crew would be the first thing I would add wait two weeks, add a couple of Harty corals, then add a fish our two.
We had an established 45 gallon and moved it to the 90 gallon
Clean up skunk shrimp, blood shrimp, watchmen hobby and a blenny

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and glad you joined

good luck -agree on. the wait awhile and 1) blue damsels are called devils for a reason and 2) I try to get a young pair of clowns (ocellaris) and they work out well - skunks seem to be more convivial in numbers, and avoid maroons, clarki, tomatoes etc...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is double load. I would still slow down a bit.
Team Hello GIF by Pudgy Penguins

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
cathihaas

cathihaas

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20221228_171353_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221228_171409_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221228_171414_HDR.jpg

Left then right side of tank
View attachment 2950992

Slow down, wait, your system is a month old, this is one of the reasons you are losing fish. I would suggest to wait another 30 days to let your system get more established before adding any more fish. Do you have a clean up crew? The clean up crew would be the first thing I would add wait two weeks, add a couple of Harty corals, then add a fish our tw

Welcome and glad you joined

good luck -agree on. the wait awhile and 1) blue damsels are called devils for a reason and 2) I try to get a young pair of clowns (ocellaris) and they work out well - skunks seem to be more convivial in numbers, and avoid maroons, clarki, tomatoes etc

That is double load. I would still slow down a bit.
Team Hello GIF by Pudgy Penguins
Thank you

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great by the way.

CLICK TO VIEW

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the saltwater reef tank. Two or three weeks ago I bought two white Snow Storm clownfish. One died and one is missing. I think Flake (fish name) is either dead or hiding in the back of the tank. Unfortunately, Snow died. I think one of the neon blue devil damsel did this. Because my another other orange clownfish fish was trying to keep the neon blue devil damsel from Flake. This morning she is gone.
Also the second orange clownfish is gone maybe a week ago.
All four of the clownfish got along.

Any suggestions?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sorry for your losses. Already there is good information here above. Clownfish by their species nature are known to bully others to establish who will become female (often to death), tank will still cycle due to transition so slow down (BUT clownfish are tough so I wouldn't think your mini cycle had anything to do with it...), and damsels are NOT ladylike... Little was said about perhaps what might have happened to clowns before they reached you, so also can't rule out disease or general mishandling between wholesaler / shipping / LFS before even reaching you. Sad for you.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I'd copy and paste those photos just to get going because WOW - GORGEOUS!!

This might help you find people local to you in Palmetto:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cathihaas

cathihaas

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sorry for your losses. Already there is good information here above. Clownfish by their species nature are known to bully others to establish who will become female (often to death), tank will still cycle due to transition so slow down (BUT clownfish are tough so I wouldn't think your mini cycle had anything to do with it...), and damsels are NOT ladylike... Sad for you.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I'd copy and paste those photos just to get going because WOW - GORGEOUS!!

This might help you find people local to you in Palmetto:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Fish Think Pink
Thank you I will build my Thread and check out the two suggestions

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Think Pink
Thank you I will build my Thread and check out the two suggestions

I did an edit on above to include this, so you might not have seen I added:
Little was said about perhaps what might have happened to clowns before they reached you, so also can't rule out disease or general mishandling between wholesaler / shipping / LFS before even reaching you. Sad for you.​

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, but that does not mean equilibrium. This is a new system regardless of how you started it.

Corals.com

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! Your tank is beautiful. When I got back into the hobby over a year ago I got two juvenile ocellaris clowns. They got along swimmingly for a month and then the one turned on the other and killed it. I then got a larger one and they have been great. Pairing clowns isn’t always easy. The damsels worry me as well. Try getting a larger one and start from scratch but keep an eye on those damsels. I wish you luck.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back