Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my tank for 2 years, I used to keep snails alive for around 8 months to a year before there would be noticeable die off and now it seems like I can’t go longer than 4 months without having to replenish and I’m always taking snails out. I’ve tried a variety of snails and I mainly have trochus now since they can flip themselves most of the time. I got 10 about 2 months ago and about 5 are dead. Is there anything I’m doing wrong? I can keep other inverts like my cleaner shrimp and starfish and have healthy water parameters, I just don’t know what could be killing them. What do you think it could be and is this normal?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the tank has matured and there is less algae for them to eat and they are dying from starvation?
I'm 2 years in, my tank is in really good shape algae wise so I have to supplement my Urchin who I have had close to two years so he has enough to eat.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how old exactly, but one of my snail is at least 5 years. I am suspecting that the one who died were killed by the hermit, as I saw the hermits with a new home. But I have very few snails and a lot of algae.... I am guessing you have too many snails for the amount of feed you have.
I also read that some snails do not like very warm waters, and it could be a reason they die too fast.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the tank has matured and there is less algae for them to eat and they are dying from starvation?
I'm 2 years in, my tank is in really good shape algae wise so I have to supplement my Urchin who I have had close to two years so he has enough to eat.
That’s the thing, I had a nitrate issue and had an algae boom, so there’s enough to eat, everything else in check forgot to mention that, but they have enough food.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? My first thought is that there is not enough food in the tank to support the snails. No matter how many you add, the population will correct itself to the environement. But I'm just guessing.
32 gallon biocube

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how old exactly, but one of my snail is at least 5 years. I am suspecting that the one who died were killed by the hermit, as I saw the hermits with a new home. But I have very few snails and a lot of algae.... I am guessing you have too many snails for the amount of feed you have.
I also read that some snails do not like very warm waters, and it could be a reason they die too fast.
Yeah I wish. I have mine on temp control from 78-80

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gallon biocube
I have 3 or 4 snails in my 32. I don't feel I need more than that.

In comparison, if I read your post, you are adding about 10 every 4 months. If you have healthy water parameters like you say, then have a clean tidy tank.

I would suggest not to add any more, leave the ones you have left and see how long they live without competition for food.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 or 4 snails in my 32. I don't feel I need more than that.

In comparison, if I read your post, you are adding about 10 every 4 months. If you have healthy water parameters like you say, then have a clean tidy tank.

I would suggest not to add any more, leave the ones you have left and see how long they live without competition for food.
Ok, will try that

Funny that I make this post today after months of being confused because I just realized it’s probably my cleaner shrimp/hungry inverts. I haven’t fed him hardly at all recently because I just assumed he got the leftovers but I guess not. Ive noticed him pick at snails that were flipped or were dying and he may be the reason. Will start feeding him more and hopefully I’ll have less deaths.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing, I had a nitrate issue and had an algae boom, so there’s enough to eat, everything else in check forgot to mention that, but they have enough food.
An unexpected nitrate spike can also kill snails. That's what killed mine in my only real snail die off event. Even when the tank was super clean I didn't really lose them to starvation they just kinda hibernated in the corners of the tank

Top Shelf Aquatics

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do higher phosphates contribute to snail death?

currently at .14 and can’t keep any even after prolonged acclimation
Not in my tank. I hit that and I have sps. Think they would show some unhappiness before a snail. Had snails for years. Some don’t make it cause I do have a few hermits lookin for a new home.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back