Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read somewhere that astrae collected in the west coast cannot stand temp in the high 70s, as opposed those frm the carribeans......maybe the temps:rolleyes:
This is true. However if you live in Florida you're going to receive Astrea snails from the gulf coast or Atlantic.

Top Shelf Aquatics

James Johnson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the trap door still intact? If it falls out they are dead if it remains tightly shut then it should still be alive. I always like to line my snails up against the glass when I put them in that way they can climb straight up the glass. Every time I just drop them in the sand they die since they cannot right themselves.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for not replying guys, have been busy. I bought a copper test kit just to double check it even tho I dont believe thats my problem. If no copper, ill buy some more astrae snails and temp acclimate them and hopefully everything will be ok.

KingLucy1997

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lights are off right now, but I have minimal on sand and get on glass which I wipe off. Sand is the live sand bags and rocks are some live that I had and Pukani rock from BRS that im more than sure is leaching thats were my cyano is coming from because I dont overfeed at all. Im running gfo to try to combat that
I received a shipment of Astra snails and figured out they were dead pretty quick. They had some kind of white slime on them and smelled horrible. One had what looked like an egg sac on its shell that was surrounded by the slime. The blue legged hermit crabs and Yellow Whip Gordian are both fine for weeks now, although the gordian has started shedding, which I believe to be natural. The slime's is growing in a layer beneath the substrate and clusters in a sac around food sources. After removing the dead snail and increasing filtering, the white slime's grow has slowed and it doesn't seem to be spreading nearly as fast as it was, although it has reached the base of the Gordian.. I am going to do an almost complete water change and remove as much of this stuff as possible. It used to cover the surface of some of the substrate but it seems to be dying off in most of the aquarium and has reached a sort of equilibrium. I am concerned that some has managed to colonize the base of the gordian. I believe that these were wild caught snails, but whatever killed them is still in my tank but its not hurting anything else as far as I can tell. I have been trying to figure out what it is and maybe this slime mold/bacteria thing is what is killing your Astras. I don't keep my tank nearly as strictly as you do because I only have hermit crabs and I just got the tank a couple weeks ago and I know there is leftover residue after I feed so there is reason for me to think that if you keep your tank in really good condition maybe this thing would be invisible but would still be able to kill the Astras? What do the Astras look like when they die? Do they have the slimy white stuff and eventually develop little egg sac looking things on their shells after they die? I haven't been able to identify this white slime besides possibly an some type of fungus but most I've researched only can tolerate up to brackish waters and are more filamentous, but seem to have the same nucleus type structure when allowed to assemble in mass around food.

Top Shelf Aquatics

timlyg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for not replying guys, have been busy. I bought a copper test kit just to double check it even tho I dont believe thats my problem. If no copper, ill buy some more astrae snails and temp acclimate them and hopefully everything will be ok.
Any update on your new batch of snails? I'm having similar problem and am thinking it's either temperature (80-83F now) or Nitrate, but I would like to know which would be more likely the cause. Maybe you could confirm for me. Thanks!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back