Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a small IM Nuvo 15 Cube! Fantastic fantastic size and it comes with a return pump! Wonderful price too that you can put toward accessories! I would recommend getting the lid, the caddy for the back, a heater and a light. The sky is the limit. The cube is VERY affordable and has kick butt clarity ! I have 2 of them and I enjoy them so much more than my actual 20G long! Maintenance is a Breeze! I changed out everything in the caddy for filter floss on the top, and Marine Gem Biomedia in the bottom two trays. I swap the floss once a week, or every two weeks if I need some nitrates. Couldn’t ask for an easier foot into this hobby.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that is exactly true anymore. When rocks were our best filters and sunburns were handed out by MH's, Every little swing drove stuff nuts. The equipment was expensive and any serious reef needed a chiller because the MH's ran so hot. Tanks big and small were tedious. Every advantage was needed.

Now, we know so much more about the hobby and have access to equipment light years better than we had in the past. You should have seen the ridiculous contraptions we bought. Read sea prism skimmer anyone?

I have a 14 gal IM. It's my smallest tank to date. It's also the easiest. Heater on an inkbird, top offs with an ATO, Lighting is fail proof and to be honest, cheaper than it has ever been. Options like Tampa Bay Saltwater and the like. Bottled bacteria, pods by mail. You can build a slice of the ocean with animals large and microscopic that have never been near natural saltwater.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 10g AIO to a starter who had the funds to do it right and the mental ability to see it through.
Agreed!

AS

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it. With led lights, ato, and pumps for nano tanks it is so much easier than 40 years ago. The IM 15 gallon cube or the Fluval 13.5 are good small tanks. Start with real live rock and ocean direct live sand and it will cycle quickly.

OP
OP
shadro

shadro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning and welcome,

A 10g is NOT hard. I’m not sure why people say that. Tanks are not “hard.” Livestock care IS hard or easy and that fluctuates with tank size and equipment choices.

A 10g IM Nuvo is a GREAT tank for a new hobbyist. A 20g IM Nuvo is better as the 20g has dual overflows (less chance of clogged overflows causing leaks) but will require more light and a powerhead (more money). I only run one return pump on my IM Nuvo 20 but I have to wonder if I could fit two back there at which point you wouldn’t need a powerhead.

Either tank requires: A good heater, ATO, and a good light; I suggest a Radion XR15 for the 10g and a Radion XR30 for the 20g.

Either of these tanks once fully matured around a year will require nothing more than water changes weekly- and you’re talking about a gallon or two. Not really a big deal.

Easy Livestock example lists for either:

A pair of clown fish and a bubble tip added after 6 months. Additional soft corals or possibly an LPS if you are feeding correctly and keeping up with water changes.

Rockflower anemone garden with porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp (ultra low maintenance).

Soft corals and possibly LPS (or two) with pistol shrimp and goby.

I have included a picture of my IM Nuvo 10g. Next to it is a 20g IM Nuvo (freshwater). The 10g required about 15 minutes of maintenance every 2 weeks. Because I kept stocking and feeding low, I seldom have to clean the glass and honestly don’t really do water changes.

View attachment 3146401
looks great. can i ask what do you use for lighting?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back