Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I decided to get a saltwater aquarium and everyone suggest to don't go under 20g for your first saltwater tank and understand the reasoning for it.
But Since I have limited space I can do a 8-10g tank. Should I go for it or just forget about it and wait to start bigger one in future Whenever that might be.
Thanks

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the fluval 13.5 - it’s a good size tank and has everything you need minus a heater. Maintaining stable parameters is no different than a bigger tank, except that you have less water so bigger swings can happen faster (so precision is key).
As far as stocking goes, simply pick small, peaceful fish (no clowns) that stay small and corals that won’t become pests.

AquaCave Logo Banner

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to decide what you want to keep. If you have your heart set on a particular fish, then you should google the appropriate tank size for that fish.

The fish that can fit in a 10 gallon are typically very boring, just sit in one spot, or hide under a rock all day. Decide what you want to keep in your tank first, that will determine the tank size, tank size will determine the budget.

BRS
OP
OP
shadro

shadro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie but I suggest you start a 10 gallon if that’s all you can do. It’s harder but at least you’d be doing it. Maybe a 15 cube.

I started with the fluval 13.5 - it’s a good size tank and has everything you need minus a heater. Maintaining stable parameters is no different than a bigger tank, except that you have less water so bigger swings can happen faster (so precision is key).
As far as stocking goes, simply pick small, peaceful fish (no clowns) that stay small and corals that won’t become pests.

Nothing is impossible .
But that being said water parameter fluctuations and if you’re able to keep on top of monitoring and Maintenance it will be ok .

I would suggest to decide what you want to keep. If you have your heart set on a particular fish, then you should google the appropriate tank size for that fish.

The fish that can fit in a 10 gallon are typically very boring, just sit in one spot, or hide under a rock all day. Decide what you want to keep in your tank first, that will determine the tank size, tank size will determine the budget.

Yes the Innovative Marine 15 desktop is probably the best bang for the buck out there. I suggest getting a few pieces of live rock either from a local source or from Tampa Bay live rocks. Its worth it.
Thank you all . Appreciate your guidance. I think I'm gonna do it but go slow and get as much info as possible

NkSde

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say to avoid it cause chemistry shifts happen fast at our low volumes but it’s manageable just take your time and learn before major changes.

see how your system reacts to things and let it settle before new introductions and stuff.

it’s not as easy as a larger system but it can be done for a newbie. Just take your time and monitor what the impact is of changes to your ecosystem

day to day maintenance is cheaper too.

BRS

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning and welcome,

A 10g is NOT hard. I’m not sure why people say that. Tanks are not “hard.” Livestock care IS hard or easy and that fluctuates with tank size and equipment choices.

A 10g IM Nuvo is a GREAT tank for a new hobbyist. A 20g IM Nuvo is better as the 20g has dual overflows (less chance of clogged overflows causing leaks) but will require more light and a powerhead (more money). I only run one return pump on my IM Nuvo 20 but I have to wonder if I could fit two back there at which point you wouldn’t need a powerhead.

Either tank requires: A good heater, ATO, and a good light; I suggest a Radion XR15 for the 10g and a Radion XR30 for the 20g.

Either of these tanks once fully matured around a year will require nothing more than water changes weekly- and you’re talking about a gallon or two. Not really a big deal.

Easy Livestock example lists for either:

A pair of clown fish and a bubble tip added after 6 months. Additional soft corals or possibly an LPS if you are feeding correctly and keeping up with water changes.

Rockflower anemone garden with porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp (ultra low maintenance).

Soft corals and possibly LPS (or two) with pistol shrimp and goby.

I have included a picture of my IM Nuvo 10g. Next to it is a 20g IM Nuvo (freshwater). The 10g required about 15 minutes of maintenance every 2 weeks. Because I kept stocking and feeding low, I seldom have to clean the glass and honestly don’t really do water changes.

EAA5D24C-6587-49C3-ADE6-A6B667497F46.jpeg

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say to avoid it cause chemistry shifts happen fast at our low volumes but it’s manageable just take your time and learn before major changes.

see how your system reacts to things and let it settle before new introductions and stuff.

it’s not as easy as a larger system but it can be done for a newbie. Just take your time and monitor what the impact is of changes to your ecosystem

day to day maintenance is cheaper too.
But in the end you can always change 10 gal of water and its fixed pretty easily. My IM15 is so much easier to maintain than my big tank. I'm always messing with my big tank.

Nutramar Foods

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have included a picture of my IM Nuvo 10g. Next to it is a 20g IM Nuvo (freshwater). The 10g required about 15 minutes of maintenance every 2 weeks. Because I kept stocking and feeding low, I seldom have to clean the glass and honestly don’t really do water changes.
This is exactly what im doing now (tank is cycling) in my sons room with a WB 20.

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in the end you can always change 10 gal of water and its fixed pretty easily. My IM15 is so much easier to maintain than my big tank. I'm always messing with my
Agreed. A disaster in a small tank can be fixed quickly and cheaply.

BrotatoSalad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 10 gallon tank, a hang on back filter, and a small 240gph powerhead about 7 years ago with live rock and it was great. Go with the IM 15 gallon cube if you can.

To save yourself heart break, get:
Heater controller (I’ve had good luck with the Inkbird)
Auto-Topoff
A mesh lid for the tank

Algae can be a little rough since we don’t have options for tangs. As long as you stay after it and don’t mind getting into the tank you’ll be alright. Stick with the easier corals and you’ll be able to get away with a cheaper light. Nicrew, knoopsyche minis, etc.

Good luck!

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clown fish and anemones are interesting of a pistol shrimp and goby (which sit under a rock but are fun to watch as they build a home and tear it down constantly). Sexy shrimp are interesting to watch as they jump around, dance, and constantly fight for the best rock flower anemone.

Pom Pom crabs carrying around zoas…

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie but I suggest you start a 10 gallon if that’s all you can do. It’s harder but at least you’d be doing it. Maybe a 15 cube.
I don't know if that is exactly true anymore. When rocks were our best filters and sunburns were handed out by MH's, Every little swing drove stuff nuts. The equipment was expensive and any serious reef needed a chiller because the MH's ran so hot. Tanks big and small were tedious. Every advantage was needed.

Now, we know so much more about the hobby and have access to equipment light years better than we had in the past. You should have seen the ridiculous contraptions we bought. Read sea prism skimmer anyone?

I have a 14 gal IM. It's my smallest tank to date. It's also the easiest. Heater on an inkbird, top offs with an ATO, Lighting is fail proof and to be honest, cheaper than it has ever been. Options like Tampa Bay Saltwater and the like. Bottled bacteria, pods by mail. You can build a slice of the ocean with animals large and microscopic that have never been near natural saltwater.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 10g AIO to a starter who had the funds to do it right and the mental ability to see it through.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Boehmtown

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon marineland all in one tall, live rock and Coral only, a 25 dollar Ali express light, no power head and a cheap heater. only thing I feed is phyto and I do a 1 gallon water change every week. Very easy to maintain and practice keeping corals. Xenia, GSP, leptoseris (did far better in here than any other tank) , cyphastrea , toadstool leather, zoa's, blastos, hammer. All easy corals I've had in it. You can grow some out for an upgrade, or have a second tank for qt or hospital. I have a blenny that picks on corals, so they go in there for a bit if he gets a little aggressive with one coral.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back