Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon tank that is over a year old. It has live rock, live sand, a Penguin biowheel filter, heater and light. I have had a flame hawk and clown fish for a year and recently (last week) added a porcupine puffer and two turbo snails. I do small weekly water changes (~5 gallons). After doing a little research I'm considering adding a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer to make my tank even cleaner and healthier. Can they come as a combination to save on space and power cords? Does anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer and UV for a small tank? I looked online but the options are overwhelming....

Top Shelf Aquatics

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon tank that is over a year old. It has live rock, live sand, a Penguin biowheel filter, heater and light. I have had a flame hawk and clown fish for a year and recently (last week) added a porcupine puffer and two turbo snails. I do small weekly water changes (~5 gallons). After doing a little research I'm considering adding a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer to make my tank even cleaner and healthier. Can they come as a combination to save on space and power cords? Does anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer and UV for a small tank? I looked online but the options are overwhelming....
1. Do you have a sump?

2. No, theres not really a good option for combining them.

3. They may not be needed in a tank of this size.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
M

Michelle3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a sump.
I wasn't really worried until I got the puffer. He is a pig and also wastes some of his food (he swallows half and spits half out). The flame hawk and clown hoover up some of the scraps, but not all of them. I really want to do all I can to stay on top of water quality.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is your puffer a messy eater, but what goes in must comes out, and the puffer is a messy pooper.

A protein skimmer is for pulling out inorgranics in the water column. And while it does pull waste out of the water, it does not pull out solid waste ie; a Puffer Dootie.

A UV breaks down cells at the structural level, and while it may kill parasites and algae, giving a clearer looking water column, it will not do anything for the solid waste.

Your best bet is to get a Mechanical filter that removes solid waste - For your size tank this could be a second bio-wheel, a bigger bio-wheel, or a canister filter system. Something that captures/traps the solid waste and then once it's trapped in some kind of media material, you can pull it out and dispose of it.

When I say dispose of it - I don't mean everytime the puffer craps, but depending on the size your puffer gets it could be monthly and as he gets bigger it might have to be more frequently to keep your water 'clean'.

Dave B

AS

lilgrounchuck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Macro Aqua M-50 HOB skimmer on Amazon on my 50G mixed reef for the last few years and it's been great. I also have a UV light from Amazon in the Seachem HOB filter I have on there. I only use that filter to add mechanical filtration or carbon as needed, so it's just sitting there and only moving water around 99% of the time, so I figured why not give it the ol' college try. I did have the UV light go out on me a while ago and noticed the water was significantly less clear than when it's running.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is your puffer a messy eater, but what goes in must comes out, and the puffer is a messy pooper.

A protein skimmer is for pulling out inorgranics in the water column. And while it does pull waste out of the water, it does not pull out solid waste ie; a Puffer Dootie.

A UV breaks down cells at the structural level, and while it may kill parasites and algae, giving a clearer looking water column, it will not do anything for the solid waste.

Your best bet is to get a Mechanical filter that removes solid waste - For your size tank this could be a second bio-wheel, a bigger bio-wheel, or a canister filter system. Something that captures/traps the solid waste and then once it's trapped in some kind of media material, you can pull it out and dispose of it.

When I say dispose of it - I don't mean everytime the puffer craps, but depending on the size your puffer gets it could be monthly and as he gets bigger it might have to be more frequently to keep your water 'clean'.

Dave B
+1 to canister filter, just remember to clean it

CLICK TO VIEW

mnl119

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Remora HOB skimmer for several months on my quarantine tank. It worked well and gave several ounces of skimmate/day at its peak, driven by a MaxiJet 1200. It was fairly low profile and needed only 3" of clearance from the wall There are other HOB skimmers that you could try.

As far as UV sterilizers, there are in tank options, but the really take up too much space for a 35 gallon. I seen HOB UV sterilizers but never really tried them.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back