Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back I setup my skimmer to be automatically shut off when the cup is filled. To do so I drilled the lid, added a float sensor, and then wired that sensor to my reef pi. In reef pi I set it up as an ATO, such that when the level gets up, it flips off the skimmer equipment.

That all works fine, but the only issue is I cant setup an alert to notify when the skimmer gets turned off. What I'd like is whenever that gets turned off, I'd get an email which then means I should drain the cup.

Does anyone have a setup they're using for this that notifies?

In more detail the setup I have is the sensor and ATO are set so that the equipment is enabled when the float is down, which is the normal state. Effectively the "Skimmer ATO" thinks that 24x7x365 it is filling the tank. That means in the charts I should see a constant usage bar.

Again that's fine, but it means I can't use the alerting features, because I don't want to alert when it's been running too long, I want it to alert when it's not running.

I'm guessing the answer might either be some sort of macro or a script that queries the state of the skimmer and alerts when off, but curious what people do.

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe activate the „reverse“ option for both the Inlet with the float switch signal and the corresponding outlet for the skimmer.

That way your ATO should turn off your skimmer when it‘s full, but enable you to use the alert. Not sure though if the alert also turns „off“ the associated equipment though.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. this is very interesting use case, its valid use case and i think we cant do it easily in reef-pi. Let me think about it, and see if we can have any feature to support this.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

epicfatigue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that in my code here

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back