Skimmer Collection Cup, Cracked. Repair?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a lot of used aquarium equipment for the sweet price of free. Included was I believe this is a Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Anyways, after I got it cleaned up, I noticed several cracks in the plastic. Holds water fairly well still, and no chunks or chips missing.

What can a fella do to make sure it’s 100% watertight and/or prevent the cracks from worsening.

Thanks!

4134CEE2-DB23-4BDF-B862-C6FC2DB7D826.jpeg

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it was the result of being dropped so isn't likely to get any worse through normal use. I would just run a line of superglue along the crack and monitor it. Obviously silicone or a waterproof tape would seal it equally well but I think glue would be adequate and the least unsightly.

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a resin you can by small tubes. And all of the above as mentioned
I expect it was the result of being dropped so isn't likely to get any worse through normal use. I would just run a line of superglue along the crack and monitor it. Obviously silicone or a waterproof tape would seal it equally well but I think glue would be adequate and the least unsightly.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not super concerned about aesthetics, as this will be hidden in the sump cabinet. Might try the superglue first though, as I already have some, and aquarium safe silicone is absurdly expensive and hard to find around here.

Though it is tempting to yell my name as I slap some tape onto the cracks too!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cabinetman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some weld 4 and run a little into the crack. It will fix it properly. Anyone recommending anything else has no idea what they are talking about. Weld-on 4 is like water and will just run right into the crack and weld it back together

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use weldon solvent. Run some down the crack as its like water.
Go slow and it will be as good as new.
I dont remember the weldon # as one is thick and one is like water.

I have used this mamy times over the years.

Last edited:

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some weld 4 and run a little into the crack. It will fox it properly. Anyone recommending anything else has no idea what they are talking about. Weld-on 4 is like water and will just run right into the crack and weld it back together
I was typing my reply. Your response is right on, lol.

BRS

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some weld 4 and run a little into the crack. It will fix it properly. Anyone recommending anything else has no idea what they are talking about. Weld-on 4 is like water and will just run right into the crack and weld it back together
Morning I take it that is your opinion. Like other people have a right to there opinion

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some weld 4 and run a little into the crack. It will fix it properly. Anyone recommending anything else has no idea what they are talking about.
I've not come across this but yes, that appears a better option. Made for the job in fact.
Thank you for pointing it out so eloquently ;)

I never finish anythi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue will do the job just fine .

AquaCave Logo Banner

Cabinetman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning I take it that is your opinion. Like other people have a right to there opinion
It’s not my opinion it’s my experience working with acrylic. I have built a bunch of tanks and fixed lots of skimmers for people who have dropped them. Weld on is the proper material to fix it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wanna do it right? Weldon 3,4 solvent.. 16 will work and seal it but ugly.. super glue works, again ugly… silicone won’t stick it will fall off… that’s not my opinion but facts lol..

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not my opinion it’s my experience working with acrylic. I have built a bunch of tanks and fixed lots of skimmers for people who have dropped them. Weld on is the proper material to fix it.
Never said your not experienced in repair what got me ruffled is a statement that anything said from other that they have no idea if you hadn’t said that last statement I would of not disagreed with any thing else you had to say . Like I said you have your opinion and I might have another opinion .

I never finish anythi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro it's a skimmer cup not a tank .

marineman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my cup a couple months ago. Knocked it off the Brute can and onto the floor. It cracked a whole chunk off. Some weld on solvent and a small syringe and it's good as new. Holds water 100% and is barely visible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked up a lot of used aquarium equipment for the sweet price of free. Included was I believe this is a Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Anyways, after I got it cleaned up, I noticed several cracks in the plastic. Holds water fairly well still, and no chunks or chips missing.

What can a fella do to make sure it’s 100% watertight and/or prevent the cracks from worsening.

Thanks!

View attachment 3068647
Ive seen these repaired with gel super glue. My choice would be epoxy

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back