Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think somebody finally has a light I'm willing to buy for my SCA150 to replace my cobbled together DIY's on my mixed reef, and I'm very strongly looking at the new AI Blades due to their mounting options.

My biggest question, since I've never used a blade style light before, is what width should I go for on my 60" wide tank? Would the hive mind recommend the 48" wide or 57" wide? I'm looking to really cut down on shadowing as much as possible but at the same time I really don't want to spend a few hundred extra dollars (Assuming 3 blades) providing a high PAR number to my carpet.

BRS

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for 3 of the 57" especially if eliminating shadows is your goal.

I was looking at using a bunch of 21" and running them front to back instead of side to side.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could do either, going with the 57" will give you a lot more "Bounce/Reflection" off glass and help a lot with shadowing. I'd invest the few hundred extra and then you'll never have to second guess your decision, plus you'll be able to run them at a lower power which will allow them to last longer.

Nutramar Foods

helmsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a single 57" on my 72" tank which supplements my 6 kessil a360x's, I will be trying to get par numbers very soon on how well a single one helps. Here is a picture of just the blade on preset 2 of their intensity when I was setting it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could do either, going with the 57" will give you a lot more "Bounce/Reflection" off glass and help a lot with shadowing. I'd invest the few hundred extra and then you'll never have to second guess your decision, plus you'll be able to run them at a lower power which will allow them to last longer.

I've gotta say, I'm jealous at how even and smooth that lighting looks on your tank. Sure beats my current "Light Islands". Do you ever wish you went a bit longer? From what I can see, it looks like even the ends of the tank are sufficiently lit and kinda makes me want to steer toward the 48" blades.

I'd show my current setup, but I don't have a current picture since I added the kessil, and right now everything is dark for the night.

Top Shelf Aquatics

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotta say, I'm jealous at how even and smooth that lighting looks on your tank. Sure beats my current "Light Islands". Do you ever wish you went a bit longer? From what I can see, it looks like even the ends of the tank are sufficiently lit and kinda makes me want to steer toward the 48" blades.

I'd show my current setup, but I don't have a current picture since I added the kessil, and right now everything is dark for the night.
Just to be clear, this 14 foot reef is lit with only XR30 Radion G6 with difusers, I have not added the AI blades yet. ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60" and I went with the 48" but that is partially because I keep a elegance coral and I wanted to give them a darker corner. Thus my tank lighting is unbalanced. However when I've moved it around I do like the effect when it is in the middle.

Also last time I checked the prices the 57" was confusingly a lot more expensive then the 48".
IMG_5887.jpeg

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals.com

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, 3 tanks all plumbed together the two end corner bows are non reef safe fish !!!!
850 Gallons total water volume
That’s a dream! Custom tank or have any details I could look this up? How big is the main/side tanks? (Gallons?)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a dream! Custom tank or have any details I could look this up? How big is the main/side tanks? (Gallons?)
the reef is almost 14' long the other side is 14' flat panel the living rooom side has the 2 end corner bows.
Middle reef is 90" x 36" by 28" tall The bows are a corner pie shape 36" radius 28" tall.
The total gallons is 850 gallons

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the reef is almost 14' long the other side is 14' flat panel the living rooom side has the 2 end corner bows.
Middle reef is 90" x 36" by 28" tall The bows are a corner pie shape 36" radius 28" tall.
The total gallons is 850 gallons
Custom built or does someone make tanks like these?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60" and I went with the 48" but that is partially because I keep a elegance coral and I wanted to give them a darker corner. Thus my tank lighting is unbalanced. However when I've moved it around I do like the effect when it is in the middle.

Also last time I checked the prices the 57" was confusingly a lot more expensive then the 48".

Did you opt for the Grow or Glow version? I'm noticing the Glow version is considerably more expensive than the Grow version. $170 difference between the two in the same length. 57" grow is cheaper than a 48" glow. If I go with a mix of 2x grow and 1x glow (or 1 and 1?) it makes 57" blades a lot more viable for me.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you opt for the Grow or Glow version? I'm noticing the Glow version is considerably more expensive than the Grow version. $170 difference between the two in the same length. 57" grow is cheaper than a 48" glow. If I go with a mix of 2x grow and 1x glow (or 1 and 1?) it makes 57" blades a lot more viable for me.
I currently have two AI primes and a coral Grow 48". My plan is to add a 48" Glow though I may just go with a Grow as I'm not convinced the Glow is any better than the Grow yet. I believe the 48" is a 100 Watt light (20W per segment) so for me 2 is more than enough for my tank that was previously running on a total of 150W. Sorry no idea what my par is.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go with the 57" blades. You guys had me steering that way already but the final kicker was that I measured my current lighting, and the extreme end-to-end on my DIY's is basically right at 48" and I do have to admit there is some end shading I'm concerned about, particularly after a few things start to grow out a bit more.

I am going to start with 2 of the 57" Grow blades, measure the PAR, and judge if I need a third at that point. There is one video series on youtube with a nearly identical dimension tank running a pair of 57" grows for lighting. His PAR measurements are an all-around improvement over what I have. He has a close match to my peak PAR directly under my main fixtures but everywhere else in the tank I'd see increases. That and I really like the way his tanks look under the Grow blades exclusively.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back