Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new tank mates. Coral beauty and Flame angels. 2 of the fish I've been waiting to get since starting the hobby 2 years ago.
IMG_5055.JPG IMG_5073.JPGIMG_5072.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the ATO container from Blue Tide. Hope it gets here soon. Starting to get more coral and need to start dosing.
I plan on using the container as a self as well to have the Red Sea ABC bottles closer to the Coral Box Doser. Need to keep those
parameters steady.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Ikea cabinet are you using?
It’s the Besta series.
On the bottom is this, with a drawer insert and front. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70245848/
The main cabinet where the controllers are housed. Got 2 shelves and a door. I put one shelf in the normal flat position. Then the second one I put vertical with L brackets to stay in place. Then just drilled holes for cables. The shelves are hollow in the middle so you have to use drywall screws if things get too heavy. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70247381/
It's in black brown. Was the only color close to the RedSea color. It's about 5 or 6 inches higher than the Main stand so it does block tank views from the side. I like it. Works for what I want it to do. I just added the FMM module to it and can still add if need be. Might go back and pick up some more shelves in case I want to rearrange the controllers to add more things to the system.

Corals.com

RLreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was Besta but couldn't figure out the drawer unit. Thanks, that looks like it will be much easier to mount everything in than the RedSea cabinet and I can hide my ATO reservoir. I have two EcoTech controllers, Neptune controller, breakout box, Neptune energy bars, Varios controller, AI Vega controller and I'm not sure what else to find a home for. Right now it is a tangled mess of cords under the tank.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was Besta but couldn't figure out the drawer unit. Thanks, that looks like it will be much easier to mount everything in than the RedSea cabinet and I can hide my ATO reservoir. I have two EcoTech controllers, Neptune controller, breakout box, Neptune energy bars, Varios controller, AI Vega controller and I'm not sure what else to find a home for. Right now it is a tangled mess of cords under the tank.
It might be tight for all that, but you can customize what you need to make it work.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Ich in the tank!!!:( I'm trying to get a QT tank setup. Only the Flame Angel is showing signs as of now.
ich.jpg
Hoping it can make it until I can get the QT setup. I have a tank and HOB filter just no heater. Need to make some saltwater too. I will take water from the DT to fill the QT. Get him out and start a copper bath. Then if any other fish show signs get them out. Also going to get some Polylab Medic and treat the DT and QT to try and rid it. I knew I should have just started them in a QT. Just like everyone else that's gone through this. I learned my lesson and will now QT. So stressful of a situation to be in. I can only imagine what the Flame is going through.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame was gone this morning. Removed him from the tank. I’m surprised that none of LFS here carry supplies for sick fish. I ordered everything online for next day but due to weather it didn’t ship on time. I’m so sad to lose a life in the tank and due to my hands being tied. The worst thing to feel is the feeling of not being able to help. Something to learn from. I am going to start a QT order supplies and have things on hand rather than trying to hunt down stuff.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish?
Lost the Coral Beauty 2 days ago. Now the clown is showing sign of something.
3C37118D-65F9-41DC-8974-DC2E939AFFFA.jpeg
There is definitely something going on. My wrasse and watchman goby are doing good. Eating and not showing signs of anything. I ran some test and found an ammonia spike. It read .2 but no sign of nitrates. Going to do some major detective work tomorrow. Test everything change water, carbon, filters. There is something weird in the water column because the skimmer is going nuts. I might have added something to the tank because of my move I packed my filters in a box and noticed it was wet with something. I thought it was water, but maybe something else that contaminated my filters. Going to buy a small bag of floss from Walmart and use that until I can get my shipment in of Blue Ribbon floss here.

Top Shelf Aquatics

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the Coral Beauty 2 days ago. Now the clown is showing sign of something. View attachment 659971There is definitely something going on. My wrasse and watchman goby are doing good. Eating and not showing signs of anything. I ran some test and found an ammonia spike. It read .2 but no sign of nitrates. Going to do some major detective work tomorrow. Test everything change water, carbon, filters. There is something weird in the water column because the skimmer is going nuts. I might have added something to the tank because of my move I packed my filters in a box and noticed it was wet with something. I thought it was water, but maybe something else that contaminated my filters. Going to buy a small bag of floss from Walmart and use that until I can get my shipment in of Blue Ribbon floss here.
Have you posted in the disease forum? If be more inclined to think its Velvet than ich..

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you posted in the disease forum? If be more inclined to think its Velvet than ich..
I did post there. Just got one reply. No answers. “Take it out of the tank and qt. Next time QT all your new purchases.” I can’t have multiple tanks. I don’t have much room. It sucks that the animals are dying, I’m learn loads with my experience now and going to go at this in a different manner going forward.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately removing for treatment is often the only way. I looked at your post in the disease forum, they are thinking brooklynella on the clown. You might add the picture of the flame that died to that post and tag humblefish.

I have a 10g and 20g for qt in a closet and break it out whenever I add livestock. Keep sponges for the hob filter in my sump so there is bacteria available for the qt. You can even use buckets for qt if you need to.

One thing I'd worry about is even if other fish are fine now, they may be acting as a carrier and future fish addition will also succumb to whatever this is. Based on the angel pic I'd think Velvet, which can wipe out a tank quick.

Sorry you are having to deal with this.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so no more fish deaths. The six line and watchman are still doing good. They eat and are chilling. I know I need to get them out, but that’s going to be a chore. I’ll need to get the rock out and catch them. I’m going to definitely do that then leave the tank for 8 weeks without fish. Then start a new fish adventure with a qt setup.

ryboy707

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 250 also, and have been going nuts trying to find what size adapter to use to hard plumb the return. Then I found this thread and you've done such an incredible job on this build it's mind blowing. I've learned so much. Now to get to this part of your journey with the fish diseases is horrible, I can't imagine. Hang in there man, I'm looking forward to the comeback

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 250 also, and have been going nuts trying to find what size adapter to use to hard plumb the return. Then I found this thread and you've done such an incredible job on this build it's mind blowing. I've learned so much. Now to get to this part of your journey with the fish diseases is horrible, I can't imagine. Hang in there man, I'm looking forward to the comeback
Yeah I think I'm just having bad luck in life right now. Things just aren't really going the way I plan. I purchase corals they die. I do water changes and flood the room. I don't know if it's a sign of some sort or just me needed to back off a little and start again. Thank for the support.

Corals.com

CWR24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'm just having bad luck in life right now. Things just aren't really going the way I plan. I purchase corals they die. I do water changes and flood the room. I don't know if it's a sign of some sort or just me needed to back off a little and start again. Thank for the support.
Can I ask how and why the flooding occurs when doing water changes?
Just setting up a Reefer 350 and will be my first time operating a larger aquarium with sump and all.
Any input/advice would be great so I know what to watch out for.

Good luck moving forward buddy and hang in there!!

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how and why the flooding occurs when doing water changes?
Just setting up a Reefer 350 and will be my first time operating a larger aquarium with sump and all.
Any input/advice would be great so I know what to watch out for.

Good luck moving forward buddy and hang in there!!
It was only because I didn’t pay attention to the other end of the hose. It wasn’t in my bathtub and I started draining and didn’t catch it until it was too late. Other than that it’s never flooded because of the tank. If you keep watch of your level in the sump when filling you’ll be good.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Kinetics
Back