Signs of Bacto Balance overdose?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last six months or so I have been dosing bacto balance within dosing guidelines. My nutrients are balanced where I want to to keep them and very stable. I was just curious if there are signs that I am dosing too much of a carbon source, signs to look for. My dosages are for arbitrary reasons since it’s not exactly something that I can test for or shows up in ICP etc. i went from 2ml-3ml daily on a 200g tank and noticed more sump detritus and less consumption of alk. Nothing major but curious if the increase could do this. Any input is appreciated.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious if there are signs that I am dosing too much of a carbon source, signs to look for.
It are the signs typical for dosing too much of an organic carbon source: cloudy water caused by a bacterial bloom.

I have chosen the organic carbon source that caused the least problems with bacterial biofilms and excess bacterial growth in our tanks, nevertheless severe overdosing will cause bacterial blooms and water cloudiness.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It are the signs typical for dosing too much of an organic carbon source: cloudy water caused by a bacterial bloom.

I have chosen the organic carbon source that caused the least problems with bacterial biofilms and excess bacterial growth in our tanks, nevertheless severe overdosing will cause bacterial blooms and water cloudiness.
Would this indicator still be useful with uv sterilization running 24/7?

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you read the label, the stuff is a scientific marvel and the nectar of the gods.... other than they don't really tell you what it is ;)

Maybe dose something of known constitution instead of magic in a bottle?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you read the label, the stuff is a scientific marvel and the nectar of the gods.... other than they don't really tell you what it is ;)
Not really a scientific marvel. If you once have understood the advantages of a dynamic equilibrium you should understand some of our products better. A dynamic equilibrium is applied science, not a marvel.

Or do you mean something specific? Here the description on our homepage.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe dose something of known constitution instead of magic in a bottle?

In my last several tanks I played with vodka, vinegar, prodibio, and now Tropic Marin. Vodka and vinegar always gave me random red slime likely from nutrient stripping. I had great results with prodibio but gets expensive in large systems. So far with bacto balance I hold my nitrates rock steady 10-12ppm, and I’m able to control po4 basically where I want it with feeding changes alone, and I’ve never seen cyano from it. I haven’t seen negatives with it, just curious on dosage limits etc. In reality I don’t really need any of it, but carbon dosing always gave me that peak color and next level polyp extension that makes me come back.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a scientific marvel. If you once have understood the advantages of a dynamic equilibrium you should understand some of our products better. A dynamic equilibrium is applied science, not a marvel.

Or do you mean something specific? Here the description on our homepage.
Hi Hans-Werner, thank you for the measured response. Yes, I was a bit (well a lot) hyperbolic, but that is how I feel when reading so many product labels out there and see questions like the OP asked. Granted, yours are often better than most ;)

People read the bullet points and "science" based marketing, but really have no idea what they are actually pouring into their tank or what it is actually doing.

Also - I responded from the "new posts" whilst drinking my coffee and honestly did not see that this was in your sponsor forum... I would have not ventured in here to be snarky about product labeling!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back