Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My breeding stock of Thor amboinensis. (sexy shrimp) in my coral table.

View attachment 3022288

View attachment 3022289

View attachment 3022291
WOW you breed sexy shrimp? Thats really cool! I am getting three in a few days.
This one is Donald my Donald duck shrimp. Leander plumosus

View attachment 3022276
Love the name! Super cool shrimp
Hi @1epauletteshark , I love decapods, although technically not a "shrimp" (the taxonomy of shrimp can be complex) your inclusion of the Reef Lobster and the Reef 2 Reef FB page using my photo. I have included a few of my photos of my personal collection of decapods here, please feel free to use them.

View attachment 3022269
Beautiful lobster. I would love to add these photos but do you have any in a rectangle format? If I use these photos they wont fit in the boxes and their full beauty wont be captured.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW you breed sexy shrimp? Thats really cool! I am getting three in a few days.

Love the name! Super cool shrimp

Beautiful lobster. I would love to add these photos but do you have any in a rectangle format? If I use these photos they wont fit in the boxes and their full beauty wont be captured.
As long as theyre happy and you got at least 1 of each sex, yours should breed as well especially if you have rock flowers or mini carpets to make them feel safe. They are prolific breeders in captivity

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as theyre happy and you got at least 1 of each sex, yours should breed as well especially if you have rock flowers or mini carpets to make them feel safe. They are prolific breeders in captivity
Unfortunately I have neither but all the babies would be eaten by something or other in my aquarium. Is it possible to keep them in a 2.5L jar with an aerator and if they breed I take out the adults or would I not need to? Also what do the babies eat? Phyto or rotifers or something else?

Corals.com

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have neither but all the babies would be eaten by something or other in my aquarium. Is it possible to keep them in a 2.5L jar with an aerator and if they breed I take out the adults or would I not need to? Also what do the babies eat? Phyto or rotifers or something else?
The babies get eaten in almost all systems even commercial ones. Not sure what they eat, but I do know it's a pretty labor intensive process rearing them.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said I know because they do breed so prolifically a lot of people have tried their hand at rearing the fry, and you can follow along a dozen or so successful ventures over the years on the internet for more info

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said I know because they do breed so prolifically a lot of people have tried their hand at rearing the fry, and you can follow along a dozen or so successful ventures over the years on the internet for more info
Hmm, ill take a look

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tony Thompson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They change sex anyway, you will always end up with at least one female, even more. I have a post somewhere on this forum where I took all males, then observed sex change, The new female was removed and another male changed to female within 2 weeks.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They change sex anyway, you will always end up with at least one female, even more. I have a post somewhere on this forum where I took all males, then observed sex change, The new female was removed and another male changed to female within 2 weeks.
That's awesome! Is there a dominance based hierarchy? Did the largest one transition each time?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a look, super interesting

Tony Thompson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Is there a dominance based hierarchy? Did the largest one transition each time?
I did not observe any obvious dominant behaviour patterns, once transition began to female they would then increase in size. They would all often line up in a row and wag their tales at each other which was very amusing. As with most breeding, I believe food availability and profile is important. I found no observation of temp change signalling.

I found a vossen trap the best way to collect shrimp fry, once the larvae release they swim towards the light. You can breed them in your DT, as many fish are dormant at night.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure this may be of interest here too (it’s titled for a specific species, but the OP notes they’ve used it for multiple kinds of shrimps including Thor amboiensis - the sexy shrimp):

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember there are almost always exception.
I once had a small australian lobster, late one night I watched him whack a niger trigger of mine, run out of his lair and proceed to eat the stunned fish. He was gone the next day.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure this may be of interest here too (it’s titled for a specific species, but the OP notes they’ve used it for multiple kinds of shrimps including Thor amboiensis - the sexy shrimp):
I have had a look through that and have found it very interesting and if I ever see any of my shrimp with eggs I’ll try to raise them

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the…
6F685CE9-5B05-4017-8464-E677B7999306.jpeg
D853D047-23E7-4767-A6A3-DF37B94E979B.jpeg
55EFCC4A-02ED-4985-8E36-32C0830CCB7F.jpeg

What is the world are these guys? I saw them at my LFS today and I would have bought them then asked questions later but they were already sold. I would like to add them to the list but I am not sure what they are. I’ll start a new thread if no one here knows :)

Tony Thompson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back