Should I wash my sand before adding it into my tank?

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious how you test that? I use a Hanna for phosphate but obviously I’m testing a water sample. How do you test what’s in the sand? Genuinely curious.
I’ve obtained a sand sample from 1.5 inches down, rinsed the crud of it, added saltwater @ 0ppm, see what, if anything is released into the water after 24hrs, with occasional stirring. If anything glows I’ll refine the test hopefully with the helpful chaps on the chemistry forum. It’s unrinsed aragalive stuff also, that I used to help cycle the tank, along with as many other sources as I could lay my hands on at that time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious how you test that? I use a Hanna for phosphate but obviously I’m testing a water sample. How do you test what’s in the sand? Genuinely curious.
You’ve prompted me into testing early, lol. After 12 hr exposure to new salt, I’ve definately got a more than zero reading, which would be expected in surface sand but there’s been a conversation going on about deeper in the bed. I’ve also measured pH in the bed and 1.5 inches down I’ve got 7.9pH which would suggest the bed is nowhere near dissolving at that depth anyway. Off to the chemistry forum I go, lol.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back