Should I rent a PAR meter for first tank setup

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am setting up my first reef tank.

I am thinking I could "rent" a PAR meter from BRS, or see if anyone local to me has one I could borrow. I could get readings at the bottom of the tank at various points of the tank, as well as at 4", 8", and 12" up from the bottom, and at a few setting of brightness on the Kessil. I do CAD for a living so I can make a few drawings with these values so I have idea of what I am working with at the various locations of the tank, at various depths, and have some idea how adjusting the brightness of the Kessil will affect things.

I am certain, of course, that I don't need to do this, and I probably can find decent settings that will work by a little trial and error and probably only irritate a few corals, so long as I pay attention to their tells. This is my first tank, though, and I was thinking that, if I have PAR values, it might give me a good idea of starting settings on the lighting, and have a good idea of where corals will likely do well. I also could report much more useful information on lighting here on the forum when I am asking questions.

How valuable do those of you who have PAR readings find them?

Any grumpy salty old dogs who want to badmouth all the kids nowadays with their darn-fangled whiz bang dohickeys that should just spend their time and money on salt and water changes? I am equally interested in reasonings why it would or wouldn't be a good use of my time and money.

Thank you,
-pg
100% support renting a PAR meter, i did the same and it provided me with a basic layout for my tank. Will probably revisit in the future once corals have grown out etc...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back