Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently introduced a bubble tip nem to the tank and after a day or so of exploring the tank, he decided to move in to this tiny little structure, where he'll receive no light and very little food. Any ideas what I should do? Will he figure this out and move on his own? I worry that he's stuck. Any thoughts much appreciated -
8D3A2E21-0A9D-40DC-9848-D62DC41C9993.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will move as it feels like it. You likely won't be able to remove it without injuring it anyway.

I've had some "hide" for months and then just show up in the open one day. It is fine.

Thuan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently introduced a bubble tip nem to the tank and after a day or so of exploring the tank, he decided to move in to this tiny little structure, where he'll receive no light and very little food. Any ideas what I should do? Will he figure this out and move on his own? I worry that he's stuck. Any thoughts much appreciated - View attachment 3114586
Don't move it. it'll stress it out and you may damage it. It will move when it's ready

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently introduced a bubble tip nem to the tank and after a day or so of exploring the tank, he decided to move in to this tiny little structure, where he'll receive no light and very little food. Any ideas what I should do? Will he figure this out and move on his own? I worry that he's stuck. Any thoughts much appreciated - View attachment 3114586

Ornaments like this typically are found in fresh water tanks.

A reef tank is a replication of the coral reef environment, and, everything in a reef tank from sand, to live rock to lighting to filtration contribute to that delicate, self-contained ecology.

Decorative ornaments like this offer nothing to the tank other than being aesthetically pleasing. So I would recommend pulling it from the tank once the Anemone vacates the piece.

Anemones move around the tank in search of ideal conditions for it to thrive.

Let it be. It may move out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone hid in a cave/ overhang like structure for months, (all natural looking reef type structure) they do find there own ideal spot so I agree with most
Let it find itself in your aquarium.
It has its own foot and will move very quickly and sometimes slowly.
In regards to decorative piece, it looks great, similar to sunken ships on ocean floor :)

OP
OP
S

Smarshy26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ornaments like this typically are found in fresh water tanks.

A reef tank is a replication of the coral reef environment, and, everything in a reef tank from sand, to live rock to lighting to filtration contribute to that delicate, self-contained ecology.

Decorative ornaments like this offer nothing to the tank other than being aesthetically pleasing. So I would recommend pulling it from the tank once the Anemone vacates the piece.

Anemones move around the tank in search of ideal conditions for it to thrive.

Let it be. It may move out.
Yeah that's fair, it's a relic from an old freshwater tank and I put it in there when the reef tank was first cycling to host some bacteria, and maybe be an nice hiding spot for a shrimp. Should've taken it out by now - learned my lesson.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's fair, it's a relic from an old freshwater tank and I put it in there when the reef tank was first cycling to host some bacteria, and maybe be an nice hiding spot for a shrimp. Should've taken it out by now - learned my lesson.

Well... nothing bad happened by putting it in there, except for maybe the bubble tip going in there. ;)

ScottJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's YOUR tank... have in it what you like.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
S

Smarshy26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 1 anemone or 2? Wow if that's 1 he's really in there huh?
It's only 1! I saw him rubbing up against it for a couple hours the other night, and then the next morning he was fully inside! He's definitely filling that space, haha

Tariq

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a nifty trick to move an anemone without injuring its foot. Point a powerhead toward the anemone base. In a few minutes, it will let itself loose.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a nifty trick to move an anemone without injuring its foot. Point a powerhead toward the anemone base. In a few minutes, it will let itself loose.
Or not...

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back