Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed that one of my clownfish has this white splotch on his tail. Doesn’t seem to be protruding, and looks more like pigment. Water parameters are fine. I’ve had the fish for about a month and I think I would have noticed this before.

Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I don’t know why video only works on desktop, not mobile.
96840CDB-C899-4542-8754-2FC43582D59F.jpeg
47873433-3019-47D6-B4C1-F7CE5B90974D.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Noticed that one of my clownfish has this white splotch on his tail. Doesn’t seem to be protruding, and looks more like pigment. Water parameters are fine. I’ve had the fish for about a month and I think I would have noticed this before.
View attachment 3137097
This looks more like fin issue on the tail as brook would not be on tail but rather facial area and followed by secondary bacteria or lesions, however I do see loss of coloration that may be associated with brook
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
any loss of appetite?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like fin issue on the tail as brook would not be on tail but rather facial area and followed by secondary bacteria or lesions, however I do see loss of coloration that may be associated with brook
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
any loss of appetite?
He seems fine. He was eating today. The discoloration shows up a lot more on the video/images. Definitely not labored or anything either.

Now I might be reading into it, but about a week after I got them I thought the bottom of their mouths/gills were white. They were the first fish in the tank other than some KPA Live rock which I had sitting in the tank for over a month. The only other fish is a gramma I just added yesterday.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He seems fine. He was eating today. The discoloration shows up a lot more on the video/images. Definitely not labored or anything either.

Now I might be reading into it, but about a week after I got them I thought the bottom of their mouths/gills were white. They were the first fish in the tank other than some KPA Live rock which I had sitting in the tank for over a month. The only other fish is a gramma I just added yesterday.
I am viewing on phone but will revisit on pc screen when I get home
Eating and normal breathing good.
Other signs of brook are lethargic behavior, and hanging on the bottom
No need to panic if early stage. The white stuff on gills May have been mucus buildup. You can safely add ruby rally pro which is reef safe and would address both brooklynella and bacterial issue

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am viewing on phone but will revisit on pc screen when I get home
Eating and normal breathing good.
Other signs of brook are lethargic behavior, and hanging on the bottom
No need to panic if early stage. The white stuff on gills May have been mucus buildup. You can safely add ruby rally pro which is reef safe and would address both brooklynella and bacterial issue
Thanks. I just ordered some Ruby Rally Pro from Amazon and should be here in 2 days. I’ll try my LFS tomorrow to try to get it in sooner. Anything else I should be doing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, this could be the early stages of Brooklynella - the white spot on the tail doesn't look serious, but the fish has a mild white cast to it and it is swimming kind of "mopey".

Jay

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, this could be the early stages of Brooklynella - the white spot on the tail doesn't look serious, but the fish has a mild white cast to it and it is swimming kind of "mopey".

Jay
What is the best way to treat? I don’t have a QT tank. Will using Rally suffice? Can the fish recover?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would use Kent's garlic extract. This product is really underrated.
Garlic will NOT do a thing for this and is overrated- It boosts the immunity system slightly and is not a disease curative

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is the best way to treat? I don’t have a QT tank. Will using Rally suffice? Can the fish recover?
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro as mentioned in previous post. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro as mentioned in previous post. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
Is there a best brand of formalin to use? Also, should I do this treatment to all fish? Or just do the Ruby Rally treatment to all fish, and formalin to just the fish showing signs?

I can set up a QT if that’s the best way. What about the display tank? Any treatment needed there? Is the CUC safe?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there a best brand of formalin to use? Also, should I do this treatment to all fish? Or just do the Ruby Rally treatment to all fish, and formalin to just the fish showing signs?

I can set up a QT if that’s the best way. What about the display tank? Any treatment needed there? Is the CUC safe?
Ruby will treat tank and occupants safely
In quarantine, formaldehyde from aqua nest

AS

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also, I don’t have any coral or anything, just fish and live rock, in case that matters and treating the whole tank is an option.
Ruby is safe for either

Icryhard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic will NOT do a thing for this and is overrated- It boosts the immunity system slightly and is not a disease curative
It not being a cure is understandable, but shouldn't we boost the immunity system anyway the same way we basically do to humans? And if not mistaken, garlic attracts difficult-to-eat fish and increases chances of eating (therefore reducing chances of it starving?).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Extreme Corals
Back