Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I would like to say that I think I need a award for having a tank sit for 2 years without touching it. Reason was due to thinking that the tank was going to go through my floor being a 100 gallon at my previous home, But finally over the last couple months I have slowly been progressing with the tank from buying equipment, building the aquascape (used caribsea life rock), filling the tank with NSW and finally cycling the tank with the help of some live rock placed in the sump and thought it was time to add the first fish. Now, I’m not new to the whole fish keeping hobby as a whole and have 7 freshwater tanks of various sized scattered through the home but I had never quarantined any fish and I don’t know if it was luck or just because freshwater is more forgiving but I haven’t had any major issues. In those 2 years of waiting I think I had watched BRS 52 weeks of reefing 3 times over and done countless hours of research to the point of my other half thinking I was obsessed so I don’t know why alarm bells weren’t going off in my head to tell me to slow down and think but I added my first fish on Tuesday just gone without quarantine. I picked up 3 green chromis. Fish looked healthy and were feeding aggressively on frozen mysis. All of a sudden Thursday when I checked the tank, 1 chromis had a few sand sized specs on its body and another had half the amount. I was shattered to say the least. Even my partner was shaking her head at me and she couldn’t care less what happens with my tanks as long as they look clean and have something “pretty” to look at in them. I knew straight away that I was dealing with ICH and straight away I was back on the internet looking at countless threads of back and forth debates on what is the best approach to dealing with the ICH. By Saturday morning, the ich was all gone. I know the whole fallow process in waiting 76-90 days in the DT before adding QUARANTINED fish but then there are those horror stories of people doing a full fallow period and coming out of it still with ich days later. Whether that could be put down to their mistake of possibly adding coral or invert that are carriers or using equipment between tanks but I don’t want a fallow period to be for nothing. As a noobie reefer, would the majority of you experienced reefers still recommend and stand by a full fallow period?

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably no surprise that I stand with eradication. I've been very vocal about how awful the condition of fish we receive has worsened over the past few years and how many have multiple parasites/ailments when they arrive.

To make sure i understand, did you quarantine the chromis too? I saw you quarantined the first batch. If you did, It is POSSIBLE (well either way it is possible) that it WAS sand stuck on the fish. Newer fish have weaker slime coats so this can happen.

Quarantine isn't perfect, it isn't easy, but having a 500G and a 180G with completely clean fish is really rewarding. I cannot risk adding diseased fish to my tanks to jeopardize my healthy inhabitants, ethics/best practices aside.

Just my .02. Sorry for the trouble, you're not alone.

OP
OP
J

JBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably no surprise that I stand with eradication. I've been very vocal about how awful the condition of fish we receive has worsened over the past few years and how many have multiple parasites/ailments when they arrive.

To make sure i understand, did you quarantine the chromis too? I saw you quarantined the first batch. If you did, It is POSSIBLE (well either way it is possible) that it WAS sand stuck on the fish. Newer fish have weaker slime coats so this can happen.

Quarantine isn't perfect, it isn't easy, but having a 500G and a 180G with completely clean fish is really rewarding. I cannot risk adding diseased fish to my tanks to jeopardize my healthy inhabitants, ethics/best practices aside.

Just my .02. Sorry for the trouble, you're not alone.
unfortunately no I didn’t quarantine any of the 3 chromis

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back