Set up of Coral Yes or NO? What else can I add?

kopoboi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI ReeftoReef Community,

So I was playing around with my 3d Paint to see how I would have my corals after some research. The reason me and my mom got into this is because we like movement in our tank, that is not just fish. It seems the two favorite ones we like GSP & Xenia are very evasive coral. We want soft corals because the care is less. But there doesn't seem to be many soft corals out there that are not going to take over your tank. So I found torches and hammers. Which I'm guessing aren't for beginners. I was actually surprised that the two we like are on the top easy coral for beginners list on most everyone youtube video we've seen. To me that doesn't seem like a good coral for beginners since a lot are still learning the ropes. To me something that is evasive is for experts who know how to control it and deal with it.

What would you suggest on the areas where i have arrows pointing at? What would you put there? Would you move what I have somewhere else? No Zoanthids or Palythoas. I know you just got to be careful when cutting them but we are not going to take the chance.

SRT 0-0.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

IanK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting, flow and filtration do you have? What are all you parameters? Those are going to help people guide you into what you could successfully keep

Jason boles

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don’t have to cut zoanthids. I think that would be an awesome addition.

possibly an anemone. They will eventually multiply and could take over the Column.
Would do the Xenia and gsp on 7 and 8 so it won’t take over everything. My 2 cents.

Also look into leather corals. Toadstools etc.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting, flow and filtration do you have? What are all you parameters? Those are going to help people guide you into what you could successfully keep
My tank is still in the set up stage. I am trying to plan out so that I don't buy corals i don't need or will not fit or get along with other corals or wont be good for certain area of the tank. I want time to research the corals.

I will be adding a IceCap Gyre 1K and Kessil 360.

Parameters: (I use NSW)
Ph: 8.2
Alk: 10
CA: 375
Salinity: 1.025

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI ReeftoReef Community,

So I was playing around with my 3d Paint to see how I would have my corals after some research. The reason me and my mom got into this is because we like movement in our tank, that is not just fish. It seems the two favorite ones we like GSP & Xenia are very evasive coral. We want soft corals because the care is less. But there doesn't seem to be many soft corals out there that are not going to take over your tank. So I found torches and hammers. Which I'm guessing aren't for beginners. I was actually surprised that the two we like are on the top easy coral for beginners list on most everyone youtube video we've seen. To me that doesn't seem like a good coral for beginners since a lot are still learning the ropes. To me something that is evasive is for experts who know how to control it and deal with it.

What would you suggest on the areas where i have arrows pointing at? What would you put there? Would you move what I have somewhere else? No Zoanthids or Palythoas. I know you just got to be careful when cutting them but we are not going to take the chance.

View attachment 1249852

I am a beginner and hammers are pretty easy to care for. I have only really taken care of lps since starting the hobby (except for a zoa frag I have). As with many lps, they can be finicky. I have one acan that grows like nobodies business, the other acan I have gets mad over the slightest param change. You just kind of learn to "feel" what they need as you go along.

Some beginner lps ideas:

If you keep relatively stable params, I think you'd be able to care for a duncan or even a hammer. They don't require much except good placement.

I like my duncan because it acts as a canary for my params. If he's closed up, I know there is probably something I need to look at.

I'd also consider cloves. Mine grow like crazy and look great.

When you only have 15 or less corals in your tank, maintaining params is pretty easy. Just keep up with 1-2 water changes a week, ensure the salinity is spot on every time, and you'll do fine. As the corals grow, as does your knowledge, you'll be ready for next steps when they start sucking more nutrients out of the water.

If you're willing to check out some non-moving/encrusting corals, you have a lot of good choices as well. I personally love leptos and chalices, I started hoarding these when I started. They are pretty resilient and the leptos pop like crazy during my moon lights.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

IanK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the kessil you should be able to grow anything you want. I will second the duncan, they are wavy and grow fast ish. I would definitely do some ricordeas on one of your island. I personally love zoas/palys and you have some pretty great space to make an awesome zoa garden. I frag my zoas and palys and wear gloves and set up a fan exhausting out the window and have never had a problem, when i was younger i did neither and had no problems, i was just unaware.
You have a great set up and it will be an awesome reef in time

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Reef2Reef members for all your advice. Sorry for the late reply been so busy with ending of fiscal year at work. Thank god the tank is in cycling stage. I hope when I get the kessil the tower rock will have more light. Right now I just have the reef sky from fluval on there, the nano one (it was from my brackish tank I had). Which I'm surprised, it lighedt up the tank.

When it comes to zoas if they are on the island than i really wouldn't need to frag than, correct?

Once the coral get bigger and take over the rock I will need to keep fragging to keep the coral alive, correct? or once its taken over a spot its ok?

Hermie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the coral get bigger and take over the rock I will need to keep fragging to keep the coral alive, correct? or once its taken over a spot its ok?

depends on the coral (species); some are very slow growing and some fast. fast growing (soft corals usually) you would need to trim once they take over their spot, but slower growing corals like favia, you may never have to frag. It also depends on their size when you get them.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Reef2Reef members for all your advice. Sorry for the late reply been so busy with ending of fiscal year at work. Thank god the tank is in cycling stage. I hope when I get the kessil the tower rock will have more light. Right now I just have the reef sky from fluval on there, the nano one (it was from my brackish tank I had). Which I'm surprised, it lighedt up the tank.

When it comes to zoas if they are on the island than i really wouldn't need to frag than, correct?

I wouldn't worry about fragging yet. You have a while until you get to that point.

Regaring the zoas, if you follow what @NotASpammerDude mentioned you'll be fine. I personally don't like zoas or palys. I find they carry more pests than other frags and also can collect algae and other stuff within their polyps.

It's not a big deal with proper dipping but they just aren't for me.

Have you considered other lps that isn't flowing? There are a ton of fun corals that really pop under lighting that add nice layering in front of euphyllias.

OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about fragging yet. You have a while until you get to that point.

Regaring the zoas, if you follow what @NotASpammerDude mentioned you'll be fine. I personally don't like zoas or palys. I find they carry more pests than other frags and also can collect algae and other stuff within their polyps.

It's not a big deal with proper dipping but they just aren't for me.

Have you considered other lps that isn't flowing? There are a ton of fun corals that really pop under lighting that add nice layering in front of euphyllias.
Not really...I been working on this tank with my mom and she hasn't been looking at these. She really wants movement in the tank. And since this is her house and she pays for a lot she gets a say in a lot.

katonge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really...I been working on this tank with my mom and she hasn't been looking at these. She really wants movement in the tank. And since this is her house and she pays for a lot she gets a say in a lot.
show your mom this zoa garden and see what she says
F0022CE5-EDEA-474A-9868-635CA4A1880F.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back