+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 75gal tank with around 13 fish. I purchased a small bleached mini max anemone around 6 months ago. Since then it has flourished in size as well as gotten its vibrant neon green color back. As happy as I am about it’s healthy come back, my tank has become a reoccurring murder scene. The first victim was a new addition to my tank at the time. It was a small banggai cardinal fish, as I was trying to make my grumpy old guy happy with a mate. I realized it did NOT go as planned, when I woke up to the new banggai being eaten by my nem. A couple months later I decided to try again and I bought another banggai. To my surprise my nem had found his second victim. The second banggai I had bought, was being bullied by my initial banngai, so I assumed it was too weak to flick off the anemones grip. The nem has not caused any more problems until recently. A few days ago I had bought a blue spotted jawfish. He had been doing perfectly fine and was happy. Unfortunately around 30 min ago, I found my anemone swallowing what appeared to be something big with bright blue spots. In disbelief I looked around for Clifford the jawfish but he was no where to be found. Never did I think that he could be a possible meal for my nem, as Clifford was pretty big. :-( I’m very disappointed and am going to return the nem to my LFS, as he has proved that he is too dangerous for my tank. I feed my anemone on a consistent basis, around 3-4 times a week. I was thinking about getting a bubble-tip however, after this I’m not sure if I should. I’ve heard that mini maxes are known to more commonly eat your fish but unfortunately I was not aware of this when I had made the purchase. Will all anemones eat your fish any chance they get?
All opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
B

Bophy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came back home and Clifford is alive!!! I guess anemone realized he was way too big and spit him out. However, he’s looks very bad. :( He is discolored and looks like some of his scales/skin is hanging off. His fins are very badly damaged and I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Corals.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure we are talking a mini maxi? I am not aware of them killing and eating fish?

I kept 2 with some very small fish and never an issue

I guess it’s possible, but I’ve never heard of it being an issue.

Maybe you got psycho mini maxi, or a different type of nem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bophy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure we are talking a mini maxi? I am not aware of them killing and eating fish?

I kept 2 with some very small fish and never an issue

I guess it’s possible, but I’ve never heard of it being an issue.

Maybe you got psycho mini maxi, or a different type of nem?
It was sold to me as a mini max but I’m not positive. I don’t have the best photos of it but here are some.

Attachments

• IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3944.png
    IMG_3944.png
    574.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3943.png
    IMG_3943.png
    577.7 KB · Views: 37
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
B

Bophy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 75gal tank with around 13 fish. I purchased a small bleached mini max anemone around 6 months ago. Since then it has flourished in size as well as gotten its vibrant neon green color back. As happy as I am about it’s healthy come back, my tank has become a reoccurring murder scene. The first victim was a new addition to my tank at the time. It was a small banggai cardinal fish, as I was trying to make my grumpy old guy happy with a mate. I realized it did NOT go as planned, when I woke up to the new banggai being eaten by my nem. A couple months later I decided to try again and I bought another banggai. To my surprise my nem had found his second victim. The second banggai I had bought, was being bullied by my initial banngai, so I assumed it was too weak to flick off the anemones grip. The nem has not caused any more problems until recently. A few days ago I had bought a blue spotted jawfish. He had been doing perfectly fine and was happy. Unfortunately around 30 min ago, I found my anemone swallowing what appeared to be something big with bright blue spots. In disbelief I looked around for Clifford the jawfish but he was no where to be found. Never did I think that he could be a possible meal for my nem, as Clifford was pretty big. :-( I’m very disappointed and am going to return the nem to my LFS, as he has proved that he is too dangerous for my tank. I feed my anemone on a consistent basis, around 3-4 times a week. I was thinking about getting a bubble-tip however, after this I’m not sure if I should. I’ve heard that mini maxes are known to more commonly eat your fish but unfortunately I was not aware of this when I had made the purchase. Will all anemones eat your fish any chance they get?
All opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Y’all’s advice has been greatly appreciated. Unfortunately Clifford just passed due to his injuries :(

ReefAddict0814

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all’s advice has been greatly appreciated. Unfortunately Clifford just passed due to his injuries :(
Sad to read this … I’m not going to lie - reading your first story had me laughing a bit because I understand the frustration of a murderous nem hit me in the gut when you said blue spotted… they’re not too cheap. Hope things have gotten better for you since. RIP Clifford

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some snake locks and they have a good sting to them tell my arms . So you imagine fish getting stings not good but that is what the Anemone family are designed to do to feed and survive in the wild .

OP
OP
B

Bophy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to read this … I’m not going to lie - reading your first story had me laughing a bit because I understand the frustration of a murderous nem hit me in the gut when you said blue spotted… they’re not too cheap. Hope things have gotten better for you since. RIP Clifford
I have returned the nem to my LFS. I go back often to check on him and he looks very happy. :) Hoping someone will buy him and give him a permanent home soon though. I bought a new blue spot, a lot smaller, and he has made several caves around the tank!! I’m glad to know that this one will be safe

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back