+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3092529View attachment 3092532
Im facing the same issue. There so many 50/50 Ideas against foam or mat or shims. This is a Aqueon 210 rimmed. Left front corner has a gap but the tank over all is level. So from reading, this should be shimmed at the stand? Or at the the bottom of the tank?

I've been through a tank crack from stress - trying to avoid that again.
Personally I'd just remove the screws and wedge metal shims under your plywood to force it up then lock it back on place.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dro127

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely do something, if it is only one corner, either shave off the other 3 or just shim that one. I’m going to move my stand to it’s final spot today, but I only have 1 corner too high so I’m just going to shave it down
The tank is close to its Final spot - but clearly not finished. I've spent an extreme amount of time researching this topic and frankly I'm overwhelmed with the battle between the responses. I really don't want to "rebuild" the stand.

Dro127

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd just remove the screws and wedge metal shims under your plywood to force it up then lock it back on place
Unfortunately I've already glued and nailed (finish nails) the 3/4 to the stand - been about a week so its pretty stuck. I guess I could force it up but I'd rather find a different solution before I start tearing it apart. It was dead on with the 6ft Level I used but apparently slightly off

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is close to its Final spot - but clearly not finished. I've spent an extreme amount of time researching this topic and frankly I'm overwhelmed with the battle between the responses. I really don't want to "rebuild" the stand.
I would shim the bottom parts of the legs. My understanding is the important part is that the corners are all level. Like you said, stress cracks suck

Dro127

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shim the bottom parts of the legs. My understanding is the important part is that the corners are all level. Like you said, stress cracks suck
The tank didnt have any live stock thankfully but losing 300+ gallons on the floors definitely sucked

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

minorhero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3092529View attachment 3092532
Im facing the same issue. There so many 50/50 Ideas against foam or mat or shims. This is a Aqueon 210 rimmed. Left front corner has a gap but the tank over all is level. So from reading, this should be shimmed at the stand? Or at the the bottom of the tank?

I've been through a tank crack from stress - trying to avoid that again.

It needs to be shimmed at the stand. Meaning place the shim between the floor and the stand. Your stand is either built wrong or (and this is the more likely situation) your stand is following pattern of the floor and is essentially torquing out of flat.

Dro127

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be shimmed at the stand. Meaning place the shim between the floor and the stand. Your stand is either built wrong or (and this is the more likely situation) your stand is following pattern of the floor and is essentially torquing out of flat.
There is a strong chance I could have been off on a cut and not noticed. As stated before, I would much rather not disassemble and rebuild the entire thing - its solid. For the sake of not asking ridiculously obvious questions, are you saying literally like a wood shim under the stand? Couldn't that cause more warping?
Or maybe, lifting the 3/4' top and stuffing shims under there?

Top Shelf Aquatics

minorhero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a strong chance I could have been off on a cut and not noticed. As stated before, I would much rather not disassemble and rebuild the entire thing - its solid. For the sake of not asking ridiculously obvious questions, are you saying literally like a wood shim under the stand? Couldn't that cause more warping?

Literally a wood shim under the stand is the way to go.

In your mind you are likely thinking of your stand as a solid piece that is unbendable. But the reality is that wood and especially wood furniture, bends a few millimeters in various directions all the time. Your stand is likely following the floor (which is almost certainly not flat) and so your stand is not flat. By adding a shim under the stand you can bend the stand 'into flat'. You won't know if it will work until you try it. Fortunately, trying it is both cheap and easy.

Dro127

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally a wood shim under the stand is the way to go.

In your mind you are likely thinking of your stand as a solid piece that is unbendable. But the reality is that wood and especially wood furniture, bends a few millimeters in various directions all the time. Your stand is likely following the floor (which is almost certainly not flat) and so your stand is not flat. By adding a shim under the stand you can bend the stand 'into flat'. You won't know if it will work until you try it. Fortunately, trying it is both cheap and easy.
I think this will be the way to go then. It cant me anymore that a few millimeters, but I slid a piece of paper between the tank and the stank and I can get it from the lifted corner all the way to the middle of the tank and the middle of the side panel. All other corners are tight thankfully so its just one corner.

And just to clarify, No Foam, Correct?

minorhero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will be the way to go then. It cant me anymore that a few millimeters, but I slid a piece of paper between the tank and the stank and I can get it from the lifted corner all the way to the middle of the tank and the middle of the side panel. All other corners are tight thankfully so its just one corner.

And just to clarify, No Foam, Correct?

100% never foam under any rimmed tank ever.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back