Seeking advice

DeDoDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, my emerald crabs keep dying. Corals are fine and growing, peppermint shrimp is fine, but all 6 of my emerald crabs are dead. I search for them at night because they would always hide during the day. Haven't seen any of them and bubble algae is spreading, so I doubt they're still alive.

OP
OP
DeDoDo

DeDoDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How soon after you add them are they dying. I never seem to get more than a few months out of them. Snails and shrimp are fine so I have no idea why the emeralds don't last.
I got them about 2 months ago. Haven't seen any but 1 over the last 3 weeks. Haven't seen the 1 that was remaining in about a week.

OP
OP
DeDoDo

DeDoDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to my experiences. I've tried pitho crabs with similar results. I don't have any predators they just don't seem to last. Another mystery for me.
I haven't tried pithos yet, but this bubble algae is literally spreading every day. I go in and pull some out without even popping them, and there's more the next day.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay on it. It's a nasty one that can get out of hand. I never worried about popping them. I question them spreading spores that way. Fish and crabs don't swallow them whole. JMO no facts it just makes sense. I've only had a problem with bubble algae in one tank and I noticed it started in a couple of places where detritus collected. Once I got the bubble algae gone there if I keep it clean it hasn't been returning. I used a stainless straw and made a kind of scraper attached to a hose which does a decent job.
PXL_20241014_223706152.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

I don't think the pitho crabs do any better than emeralds they're just supposed to be safer with coral but personal I've not had a problem with emeralds and coral.

OP
OP
DeDoDo

DeDoDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to do something like that, it's getting out of hand. I need to figure out why as well.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back