Seeking advice on new tank width (front to back depth) and height. Is 48" too wide?

BRS

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new tank and have been strongly considering a 48" width (front to back depth). The tank's overall all measurements will be either 72" x 48" x 20" or 60" x 48" x 20". I've actually even considered a 60"x 60" x 20". I will have access to 3 sides (one long and two short), so somewhat of a peninsula style tank.
It's going to be a Magnifica anemone specific reef with a shallow rock structure, and, hopefully, blanketed by beautiful anemones. Top-down viewing will also be a priority as I love the tidepool look.
Anyone with 48" wide tanks care to offer personal experiences? Any regrets going that wide for either viewing or maintenance reasons?
Will 20" height be enough height to properly view all the way back when looking through the front pane and truly enjoy the depth of aquascaping? How short is too short? Could I get away with 18" height?
Any advice and opinions welcome!
Thanks!
Oh, here is my current anemone reef that I hope to upgrade to a much large scale:

Nutramar Foods

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is 48 inches front to back and I love it, no regrets on a peninsula at 30 inches high with glass panels and barebottom, it's easy to maintain. I also put my tank pretty low so it looks nice from sitting on the sofa and gives me a good view of the bottom when viewing from the standing position. Equipment is in the basement.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm planning a new tank and have been strongly considering a 48" width (front to back depth). The tank's overall all measurements will be either 72" x 48" x 20" or 60" x 48" x 20". I've actually even considered a 60"x 60" x 20". I will have access to 3 sides (one long and two short), so somewhat of a peninsula style tank.
It's going to be a Magnifica anemone specific reef with a shallow rock structure, and, hopefully, blanketed by beautiful anemones. Top-down viewing will also be a priority as I love the tidepool look.
Anyone with 48" wide tanks care to offer personal experiences? Any regrets going that wide for either viewing or maintenance reasons?
Will 20" height be enough height to properly view all the way back when looking through the front pane and truly enjoy the depth of aquascaping? How short is too short? Could I get away with 18" height?
Any advice and opinions welcome!
Thanks!
Oh, here is my current anemone reef that I hope to upgrade to a much large scale:
My 660 dimension - 8.5ft x 49" deep and 35" high
Your challenge will be placement of rocks and cleaning back wall if desired. To stock that tank, I accomplished best with teenagers (see below).
If going 4ft deep, I recommend at least 60, preferably 72" long

660 transfer 8.jpg
660 transfer 14.jpg
660 transfer 2.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 9’x4’x30”. The width really makes a big difference. True that it’s a bit more to clean but also true that your livestock will enjoy much more.

Go as wide as can!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 200 is L72"xW24"xH27". The only regret is not having gone at least 6-12" more width front to back. Longer works for me but I don't think I would want deeper than 27" for ease of maintenance. Also don't think I would want more than W36" unless it was a peninsula. Would love one but not really any good place for one.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back