Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice colors on that not-so powder blue ;)
images
LoL, great point! Maybe we’ll start calling him a CBT for Cobalt Blue Tang. He’s lightened a bit since that raging mad color display earlier. Lost the Shelby racing stripes too :(

5F4047FB-3F23-465E-A7EC-85BFA0A2798B.png

Avast
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates fairly steady near 5 ppm.
Phosphate drop stalled out and climbed a tad to .21

Did some rough math today and realized i wasnt anywhere close to the 10x turnover rate Triton calls for. Think I was closer to probably 3 or 4 times per hour.

So we doubled the output rate of the COR15 hopefully getting me to 7/8 times per hour.

Refreshed the carbon and added a little phosguard to the reactor. Jusst a little.

Couple corals coming in from Unique on Thursday along with some F Aiptasia. Great name.... Hope it lives up to it.

https://saltwateraquariumstore.franks-tanks.com/F-Aiptasia-Killer-p126353177

AS

nbd13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates fairly steady near 5 ppm.
Phosphate drop stalled out and climbed a tad to .21

Did some rough math today and realized i wasnt anywhere close to the 10x turnover rate Triton calls for. Think I was closer to probably 3 or 4 times per hour.

So we doubled the output rate of the COR15 hopefully getting me to 7/8 times per hour.

Refreshed the carbon and added a little phosguard to the reactor. Jusst a little.

Couple corals coming in from Unique on Thursday along with some F Aiptasia. Great name.... Hope it lives up to it.

https://saltwateraquariumstore.franks-tanks.com/F-Aiptasia-Killer-p126353177

Curious do you have a flow meter on your Cor15?

I have a flow meter on my cor20 one on each side of my return 1” and the flow meter is right below the 3/4” bulkhead and it gives me about 500-520 gph it’s going full blast 100%...sump is directly below the tank.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious do you have a flow meter on your Cor15?

I have a flow meter on my cor20 one on each side of my return 1” and the flow meter is right below the 3/4” bulkhead and it gives me about 500-520 gph it’s going full blast 100%...sump is directly below the tank.
No, I dont have the flow metered and just used rough estimates. That seems well out of spec though. Is it a single return line or split?

I have water whipping through the sump at this point. If I wasn’t shooting for 10x turnover Id never be running it this high and theres a good chance I back it off from here still.

Last edited:
AS

nbd13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I dont have the flow metered and just used rough estimates. That seems well out of spec though. Is it a single return line or split?

I have water whipping through the sump at this point. If I wasn’t shooting for 10x turnover Id never be running it this high amd theres a good chamce I back it off from here still.

I have a split return line. I contacted Neptune and they said this was pretty normal...water moves through my sump at a decent pace too. Was just curious if you had it metered and maybe that would lead me to believe my pump was defective but according to Neptune that’s about right....

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a split return line. I contacted Neptune and they said this was pretty normal...water moves through my sump at a decent pace too. Was just curious if you had it metered and maybe that would lead me to believe my pump was defective but according to Neptune that’s about right....
Wow. Seems way low for a pump they tout to put out 2000 gph to then turn around and say 500 is normal. I know pipe size, head pressure and elbows will all factor into it but I wouldn’t expect that kind of drop off. Makes me wonder where I really am now with the smaller pump.

nbd13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Seems way low for a pump they tout to put out 2000 gph to then turn around and say 500 is normal. I know pipe size, head pressure and elbows will all factor into it but I wouldn’t expect that kind of drop off. Makes me wonder where I really am now with the smaller pump.

Yeah that’s why I asked you. The flow meters are right below the return bulkheads on each side before they drop down to 3/4”. So I probably loose a little more flow before it actually goes into the tank even! Seems crazy to me as well. I’m running triton method too, have a 150 gallon display. I hope I’m ok, I’m not near 10x turnover but not much I can do as I’m committed to the cor20 as I have 3 (return, skimmer punk and another to run my UV).

60f16adeb22876e271b24445b3c4c22a.jpg

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread. Just was curious.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s why I asked you. The flow meters are right below the return bulkheads on each side before they drop down to 3/4”. So I probably loose a little more flow before it actually goes into the tank even! Seems crazy to me as well. I’m running triton method too, have a 150 gallon display. I hope I’m ok, I’m not near 10x turnover but not much I can do as I’m committed to the cor20 as I have 3 (return, skimmer punk and another to run my UV).

No worries of hijacking here and thanks for sharing. I’m glad another Triton user popped in to be honest... How’s the tank runnning overall? Do you think Triton is working for you? This is my first real go with it and I’m only a couple of months in with coral in the tank and am still trying to dial it in. Not the easiest thing to do while still adding fish and over feeding to some degree. I say over feeding as the last time I used Chaeto it didn’t matter how much I fed I couldn’t keep NO3/PO4 measurable. So far that hasn’t been a problem in this tank.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impulse buy.... stopped by an LFS this afternoon and came across a gorgeous Swallowtail Angel for $65. Couldnt resist and not sure how this is going to work out but we will see.

View attachment 1015406

View attachment 1015407
Great looking fish! I have been eyeing one at my lfs for the last couple of weeks. Still haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking fish! I have been eyeing one at my lfs for the last couple of weeks. Still haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger.
Thank you sir! She is quite pretty and adds some color we didn’t really have with that silvery white body. She’s my 1st ever Genicanthus Angel and so far I’m very happy. I was a tad worried the Tangs might assasinate her but the acclimation box and then mirror on/off for a day or two has done the trick.

Corals.com

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir! She is quite pretty and adds some color we didn’t really have with that silvery white body. She’s my 1st ever Genicanthus Angel and so far I’m very happy. I was a tad worried the Tangs might assasinate her but the acclimation box and then mirror on/off for a day or two has done the trick.
I only have a Blue Hippo at this point so no other tangs to beat one up yet. You have me thinking now...:D

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190327-075832_Chrome.jpg

Looks like they rate the flow using a 1.25" pipe. At only 6 ft. of head pressure it drops to about 1000gph. Being your return is split and running through only 1" it seems reasonable that they would be 500gph per side. It is a bit disappointing that the pump loses 1/2 it's return at only 6 ft. of head. I learned something new about these pumps and thank you for causing me to research it!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being your return is split and running through only 1" it seems reasonable that they would be 500gph per side.
He is actually closer to 500 total... 250ish per side which was where it became more disapointing to see. 1000 gph total would be much more reasonable given the smaller pipe size and head height.

CLICK TO VIEW

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is actually closer to 500 total... 250ish per side which was where it became more disapointing to see. 1000 gph total would be much more reasonable given the smaller pipe size and head height.

Oh, missed that, thanks for the correction. That is disappointing, very disappointing.

nbd13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries of hijacking here and thanks for sharing. I’m glad another Triton user popped in to be honest... How’s the tank runnning overall? Do you think Triton is working for you? This is my first real go with it and I’m only a couple of months in with coral in the tank and am still trying to dial it in. Not the easiest thing to do while still adding fish and over feeding to some degree. I say over feeding as the last time I used Chaeto it didn’t matter how much I fed I couldn’t keep NO3/PO4 measurable. So far that hasn’t been a problem in this tank.

To be honest the tank has not been setup for too long...maybe 6-8 weeks, the rock has cooked for aborter 8 weeks prior to adding to the tank. I have 2 clowns, cleanup crew and about 8 SPS frags in there now. I have 5 more fish going in the tank after QT is over in about 2-3 weeks.

I literally just started dosing 1-3B 5 days ago and I'm only doing 1.5ml/day of each right now. I am growing chaeto like mad though! My PO4 on the ultra low Hanna meter is 0.01...I can't even get a reading with Salifert Nitrate kit. I am feeding pretty heavy to make sure the clowns are happy (2 times a day). I'm trying to get these fish in as I would like PO4 to be a little higher than 0.01! So far the SPS frags seem happy, they've only been in there for about 10 days, one a little longer at about 2 1/2 weeks.

This is my first go at it too...keep me posted glad I found someone else doing it too!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first go at it too...keep me posted glad I found someone else doing it too!
Awesome! You’re doing better than I am. I loaded the tank in fish over the first few months and tested maybe 3 times. Now trying to get a handle on it. Nitrates are fine near 5 but PO4 is fighting me a little. We’ll get there.

If you have a build thread going Id like to check it out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

nbd13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! You’re doing better than I am. I loaded the tank in fish over the first few months and tested maybe 3 times. Now trying to get a handle on it. Nitrates are fine near 5 but PO4 is fighting me a little. We’ll get there.

If you have a build thread going Id like to check it out.

Sure:

nbd13's Return...150g Custom Bare-bottom SPS/Angel/Modified Triton Method Reef

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ified-Triton-Method-Reef.561173/&share_type=t

Hopefully that works.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from Unique arrived this morning. Quick pics from earlier. Hope they don’t mind the elevated PO4. Its coming down but we’ll see how they do.

Purple Digi
Green Elkhorn Monti
Pink Milli

Halloween Echinata
Rainbow Shroom.

E848923D-6C75-4CEB-B630-73228BCCD303.jpeg

742E36A7-81BA-45F8-981B-A15B7963A27D.jpeg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back