Salt mixing mistake - Double salinity

akossard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am in the process of filling up my tank for the first time. I managed to produce around 100 liters of RODI water (it's pretty slow) into a 140-liter container. Last night, I decided to add the salt so it could dissolve overnight. This way, I can add my live sand and the water to the display tank and start making a new batch (the display tank and sump together will be around 300 liters).
Idk why, it was late, or the scale malfunctioned, but I managed to add almost double the amount of salt. I did not notice at the time; I mixed it until it was clear and then went to sleep. When I checked in the morning, it was super cloudy, and when I checked the salinity, it was around 70. This is when I realized my mistake. I started adding extra RODI water to dilute it, also added a pump to mix it better. I checked the alkalinity and the calcium, and both are super high.
My question is: if I manage to get the salinity to the right level, and my alkalinity and calcium levels are correct, can I use this batch or I should throw it away, and start over? It will be accompanied by another 150 liters, hopefully correctly mixed.

Thanks

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am in the process of filling up my tank for the first time. I managed to produce around 100 liters of RODI water (it's pretty slow) into a 140-liter container. Last night, I decided to add the salt so it could dissolve overnight. This way, I can add my live sand and the water to the display tank and start making a new batch (the display tank and sump together will be around 300 liters).
Idk why, it was late, or the scale malfunctioned, but I managed to add almost double the amount of salt. I did not notice at the time; I mixed it until it was clear and then went to sleep. When I checked in the morning, it was super cloudy, and when I checked the salinity, it was around 70. This is when I realized my mistake. I started adding extra RODI water to dilute it, also added a pump to mix it better. I checked the alkalinity and the calcium, and both are super high.
My question is: if I manage to get the salinity to the right level, and my alkalinity and calcium levels are correct, can I use this batch or I should throw it away, and start over? It will be accompanied by another 150 liters, hopefully correctly mixed.

Thanks
Def don't throw it out. Dilute it a lot and use it. The water isn't bad

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never throw mine away. Too much salinity, dilute. Not enough, salt water in ATO - either direction it's best to save and raise, lower slowly :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back