Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've started using a Neptune DOS for a daily auto water change. Once a week mix 60 ltr (13 gallons) in my storage tank and leave it to run - so far working well. I have a small powerhead in the storage tank to mix and keep things moving. Typically the water sits around 68' room temperature, so I'm mixing my RS Coral Pro salt cold, at no point heating until it hits the sump (It trickles in at approx. 1.8 gallons over 2.5 hours). My question is... I run 1.024 (34 ppt) salinity at my target 78' tank temperature, I know this drifts off approx. 0.2 ppt for every degree drop in temperature, but I also know it's not a perfect curve - so I'm trying to find a reliable answer as to what salinity at 68' should I be mixing. Google has thrown some conflicting answers! Any advice, much appreciated!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JP Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature only affects the reading not the actually value. If you mix it at 1.025 at 68 it is still actually 1.025 at 78. Temperature affects the measurement device. Make sure you have it calibrated for the temp you are measuring.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
psumms

psumms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature only affects the reading not the actually value. If you mix it at 1.025 at 68 it is still actually 1.025 at 78. Temperature affects the measurement device. Make sure you have it calibrated for the temp you are measuring.

Ah, understood, this may be the cause of my confusion. I use a Hanna salinity checker, I think this must compensate for temperature in the reading.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back