Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank and it's all 3 months old now. I noticed the top of it along with the wires and hob filter get a lot of salt buildup on them. Can I prevent that somehow? All things considered I guess it's not a huge problem but it's ugly to look at and hard to get off. I thought about wiping vegetable oil all along the top so that it doesn't stick and I can just rub it right off but then on second thought I thought that it might be dangerous for the fish in case it got in the tank. I just was looking for any ideas on either how to prevent it or something I can do to make cleaning it up easier because as it is now I have to get a microfiber cloth and really scrub it pretty hard to get it to come off. I noticed that my aeration stones cause small bubbling at the surface water which I'm sure are contributing factor to it. Don't know if there's a better place to put them but as of now I have them in the back two corners of the tank just so they're the least visible

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

j.falk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rag with hot water...wipe it off.

Salt creep is caused by bubbles popping at the water surface.

If you have an airstone or something creating bubbles in your tank, get rid of it and get something that doesn't make bubbles (powerhead, wave maker, water pump, etc...). Also make sure your tank is filled up all the way, HOBs that splash like a waterfall into the tank water create bubbles.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rag with hot water...wipe it off.

Salt creep is caused by bubbles popping at the water surface.

If you have an airstone or something creating bubbles in your tank, get rid of it and get something that doesn't make bubbles (powerhead, wave maker, water pump, etc...).
This is exactly why we do not use "bubblers" in marine environments. Popping bubbles at the surface will create a ton of salt creep.

Instead we use wave makers/powerheads to create flow in the tank.

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Opinion but the only thing in a marine tank creating bubbles should be a skimmer. You should never use air stones or bubbles to create surface agitation, always use water flow from powerhead/wavemaker/return pump from sump. etc for surface agitation, but if you're using a skimmer there is no need for surface agitation, the water is already hyper oxygenated by the skim process.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should not be salt creep on the outside of the tank, if you find salt creep, it means there is water splashing outside the tank. Salt creep on the wires means that water has splashed on the wires. I hope your wires all have drip loops, or it becomes a real fire hazard,

As other mentioned, an airstone in tank is very rarely used because its so messy. The best way to oxiginate the water is with a skimmer. Second best way is to point a powerhead at the water surface to create agitation which helps gas exchange and puts oxygen into the water. I would find a way to incorporate either one of these 2 methods into your setup, and ditch the airstone.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why we do not use "bubblers" in marine environments. Popping bubbles at the surface will create a ton of salt creep.

Instead we use wave makers/powerheads to create flow in the tank.
So I did that originally, and then my fish ended up dying from lack of oxygen, and I was recommended by numerous people to get the air stones.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should not be salt creep on the outside of the tank, if you find salt creep, it means there is water splashing outside the tank. Salt creep on the wires means that water has splashed on the wires. I hope your wires all have drip loops, or it becomes a real fire hazard,

As other mentioned, an airstone in tank is very rarely used because its so messy. The best way to oxiginate the water is with a skimmer. Second best way is to point a powerhead at the water surface to create agitation which helps gas exchange and puts oxygen into the water. I would find a way to incorporate either one of these 2 methods into your setup, and ditch the airstone.
I tried the power head aimed at the surface at first, but I had fish die from lack of oxygen and was recommended by a large number of people to use air stones :/

Top Shelf Aquatics

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the power head aimed at the surface at first, but I had fish die from lack of oxygen and was recommended by a large number of people to use air stones :/
I have a couple questions for you, how many powerheads do you have inside your tank and do you have so many people living in the room exhaling a bunch of co2?

Here's another option for you if you are using the HOV as a filtering device.. look online for hob with built-in skimmer. I'm sure they still make them, I used one years ago and actually got decent skin mate out of it. Plus it will oxygenate your water that is if you don't have heavy CO2 build up in your home.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions for you, how many powerheads do you have inside your tank and do you have so many people living in the room exhaling a bunch of co2?

Here's another option for you if you are using the HOV as a filtering device.. look online for hob with built-in skimmer. I'm sure they still make them, I used one years ago and actually got decent skin mate out of it. Plus it will oxygenate your water that is if you don't have heavy CO2 build up in your home.
It's only my wife and daughter in my house. I have 2 powerheads in the tank, 75 gallon tank.
The issue I had with oxygen, I added vibrant to the tank, to help clear up water. Within hours of adding it, my fish died. Won't be doing that again, but based on all the info I gave in that thread multiple people said my fish didn't have enough oxygen, so now I'm just terrified of adding anything to the tank :/

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back