Salt Bucket vs Individual Bags in Box

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit hesitant to purchase salt that are in buckets versus a box that would have individual sealed bags - I've been using the boxed version of salt, and my LFS currently has buckets of the same salt on sale at $30 cheaper than the box version, which works out to a lesser price point.

For those that use salt buckets, I welcome your thoughts on them - do they tend to trap moisture in despite appearing to have a tight fitting lid? The bags that I use, I do end up dumping it in a bucket and put a lid on it, but I do noticed that the salt does tend to chunk up just a bit.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years on the bucket.
Never an issue.
Should be bagged on inside or beware!
Close the bag and put the top back on after use.
So if the bucket doesn't have the salt in a bag, what does it mean and will happen?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckets are great, especially if you need free buckets. If you’re mixing an entire buckets worth at a time you don’t have to worry about stratification. Same with bags. If mixing less than an entire bucket at a time, it easier (for me anyway) to shake and mix a small bag to mix the salt up versus a larger bucket.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using buckets for 8 years with no issue. I put a gamma lid on one bucket and pour all salt it into the bucket with that lid. I buy boxed also when it more cost-effective and I dump the bags into the bucket with lid. I only mix about 35g a week.
Screenshot_20241003-144245.png

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the salt brand, the salt will either be in a bag in the bucket or in the case of my reef crystals, the bucket has an O ring seal built in that does a great job of keeping moisture out. They are typically meant for long term storage and use. i actually open my bags and dump them in my bucket for easier use.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the salt brand, the salt will either be in a bag in the bucket or in the case of my reef crystals, the bucket has an O ring seal built in that does a great job of keeping moisture out. They are typically meant for long term storage and use. i actually open my bags and dump them in my bucket for easier use.
Oh! So you use IO Reef Crystals - that's my reference in my post. So there's no bag inside, and just the salt?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used reef crystals and just bought whichever is most cost efficient, which is usually the buckets. There is no bag in the bucket, but I’ve never had an issue with moisture getting in the salt.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some salt (IO and Red Sea for example the bucket is less salt than the box/bags are) 160g vs 200g and I ussually see them at the same price so I ussually get the box or bag and just dump it into an old bucket. I use enough salt that I have never had moisture issues with the bucket.

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box for me. Been able to make 200 gallons with one box. So 50 gallons per bag equals one water change, plus is easy on my back.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back