+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm curious...

what are the major parameter for your tank water at 32ppt?

what salt mix are you using?

J.
I use AquaForest probiotic reef salt. At 32 ppt i get
Ca 425
Mg 1425
Kh 7.2
this matches what I keep my tank params at. I could gradually bring my tank params up, but I run Aquaforest balling and have my ions balanced and set, hence the reason i don't want to alter. Plus the lowering affect of nitrate and phosophate using this salt.

It is interesting to hear what people are doing, as each batch of salt is different.

Corals.com

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use regular IO. The calcium is slightly low at 1.026 or 35 ppt. I add just a bit. The alk is high, but I use muratic acid to bring it down. Magnesium is about perfect.

I do not know of any way to lower calcium in mixed saltwater, so I would rather have it low since I can always add some.

To lower alk with Muratic Acid, the formula: desired dKh drop * gallons * .123 = mls of muratic acid to use. It does drop the pH a lot and can take about a day to blow off the extra co2 when aerated. This does add a day to mix time, but I plan ahead and have all kinds of time. You can test after you add it and add more if you did not use enough, or add in some baking soda if you used too much. I use a skimmer pump with the venturi (sedra 5000) to blow off the co2 and stir the water. I have also use just some airline in the bottom of a Mag 12 which introduces a good amount of air.

jurgenph

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AquaForest probiotic reef salt. At 32 ppt i get
Ca 425
Mg 1425
Kh 7.2
this matches what I keep my tank params at. I could gradually bring my tank params up, but I run Aquaforest balling and have my ions balanced and set, hence the reason i don't want to alter. Plus the lowering affect of nitrate and phosophate using this salt.

It is interesting to hear what people are doing, as each batch of salt is different.

had to look up their salt on the AF website.
it seems they advertise all their parameters at 33ppt.
so your 32 may just be within testing range error.

not sure why they don't suggest mixing their salt at the more widely accepted 35ppt range.

if it was me, i'd slowly raise it over time to 35 ppt.
doesn't need to be drastic, just top off with some salt water for a while until you're at 35ppt.

J.

bluprntguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doubt that doing a partial water change with water a tiny bit above your normal parameters is going to do anything to change your parameters.

if you are concerned about maintaining your exact parameters, it seems like it would be easier to just skip a dose of your additives following a water change.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure why they don't suggest mixing their salt at the more widely accepted 35ppt range.
Dishonest marketing. It lets them claim the box produces more gallons than it actually does.

Its like how some processed foods advertise a low calorie count but if you read the fine print you find out its based on a nonsense serving size like "half the cup of yogurt" or "1/4 of the bag of chips" when these are obviously single-serving products in reality.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some companies seem to quote params at 20 degrees celcius. Why they do this I don't know, given everyone runs their reef tanks at around 26.

I'm interested to hear about someone that has mixed to a lower salinity and then raised salinity manually.

Corals.com
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back