Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my RPEs from someone keeping them under MH. Moved them into my T5 tank. After 2 months, they look like this:
RPE.jpg

Will they get their deep red back???

Nutramar Foods

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see pics at work (they always block the good stuff), but if I were to guess I think you are having the same bleached look that a lot of us RPE T5 users are having. Check out the end of this thread and let me know if they look like these (I'll check this thread again once I get home and can see pics).

http://club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778&page=3

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, mine are even more transparent light pink. What I want to know is, will they get their red coloring back? I know that sometimes brighter lighting will cause loss of zoanthille (sp?) but they will develop more in their cells & in the meantime, feed heavily. I have other RPEs I got from another source & it also is bleached, even though it is farther from the lights. Both kept their color till 2 weeks ago & have been under the T5s for 2 months. I cannot move the RPEs, becaue they are growing on the rock. BTW, the RPEs are still multiplying--4 new polyps in the past 2 months.

The only other coral I have had a similar problem is this favia, that used to be dark maroon with bright blue inside. That, I have moved to the bottom of the tank:
BleachedFavia.jpg

Here are the stats:

KH & Ca were a bit low a 4 days ago,
Kh 6.4
Ca 340

Today:
KH 8
Ca 420
(always have a problem keeping those up--need to check/dose more often)
pH 8.2
SG 1.26
NO3 0.5
I know I should test/dose Mg--don't have a test kit yet.

I dose Lugol's 2 drops/week for an estrimated 100g of water.
I feed every other day: A defrosted (in tank water) mix of Rod's food, Arcti-Pods, Roti-Feast, Coral-Frenzy, Oyster eggs, Reef Plus & Dt's Phyto Plankton.

I spot feed everything that eats meat with a turkey baster. My clam is doing fantastic. I always judge the tank's health by it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some insight to add here.... finally!

I burned out a whole prop tank full of zoos and palys when I upgraded to new lighting. ALL of my zoanthids have recovered 100% of their color within 4 months. my palys, including RPE,PPE, GSPE and others (including 2 leathers) are very very very slowly regaining color. They're at the 5 month mark now and just showing hints of their true colors. The wierd thing is that some have reproduced- even when bleached, and the new polyps were bleached too. wierd.
I would say leave them in your system under your normal lighting, and they will come back sometime..

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all I really needed to know, thanks! I did move another favia that had bleached into the shade but I can't move these guys--already attached to the rock. Glad to hear they'll recover. Yes, they are still multiplying, as light pink polyps.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back