Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my fish for over two years but would quite like to add a Royal Gramma. I have a Banggai, a Filefish, a Yellow Tang, a Midas Blenny and some Electric Blue Damsels. I’ve read the Royal can have problems with the Filefish - anyone had any direct experience please?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and no. My purple firefish and gamma ignored each other in a 40g cube. Most fish avoid conflict with other tank mates, and will only resort to aggression when their territory and/or food sources is threatened. Conflict may still happen, but not because basslets are programmed to hate on gobies. If you end up with that fish, just have a plan 'B' to deal with the situation.

OPL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your rock work allows the gramma to establish its own territory/have a hide out then you "should" be ok.

Mine settled down after i re-scaped and added a cave, the only time he was aggressive after that was when another fish got too close to his cave.

Top Shelf Aquatics

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and no. My purple firefish and gamma ignored each other in a 40g cube. Most fish avoid conflict with other tank mates, and will only resort to aggression when their territory and/or food sources is threatened. Conflict may still happen, but not because basslets are programmed to hate on gobies. If you end up with that fish, just have a plan 'B' to deal with the situation.
“Filefish”

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a royal grammar years ago (I love the colours) this guy literally, after 3 months dominated my aquarium and I had to remove him. I'm unsure, if one is raised in a community aquriam maybe abit more peaceful but from my experience I would not add again

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Filefish”
Wow...that's what reading can accomplish!

Still no. Filefish tend to keep to themselves, although there are clearly many, many species of them, and behaviour can vary. My gramma shared a tank with a matted filefish and a pygmy whitespotted filefish (not at that the same time), and there were no conflicts. I've just never seen any filefish have any conflict with any other fish: I have a radial and pygmy whitespotted filefish sharing an Evo right now. They don't even look at each other.

I moved the basslet out before I put a red-tailed filefish into the cube, so I can't speak to that one, but I think you'd be okay unless you have some true specimen of aquarium exotica that's highy volatile.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...that's what reading can accomplish!

Still no. Filefish tend to keep to themselves, although there are clearly many, many species of them, and behaviour can vary. My gramma shared a tank with a matted filefish and a pygmy whitespotted filefish (not at that the same time), and there were no conflicts. I've just never seen any filefish have any conflict with any other fish: I have a radial and pygmy whitespotted filefish sharing an Evo right now. They don't even look at each other.

I moved the basslet out before I put a red-tailed filefish into the cube, so I can't speak to that one, but I think you'd be okay unless you have some true specimen of aquarium exotica that's highy volatile.
Dont worry about it - did THE SAME THING the other day lol

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry about it - did THE SAME THING the other day lol
Either predictive text or chubby fingers! Lol - glad people knew what I meant. Overall seems a bit ‘hit or miss’ as I have a peaceful tank and don’t want to risk upsetting it

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back