Rookie question on p04.

whammack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been 0 ammonia for 3 days. I added a pair of clowns yesterday afternoon. 10/1/24. I tested parameters today.
Ph 8.0-read from probe in sump.
Alkalinity 6.2- hannah checker.
Cal. 351- hannah checker.
P04 .51- hannah checker.
I don't have a mag. Test kit yet.

Nitrate, I have a kit on order. The hannah tester I bought used does not work. I did not know that until I was testing for nitrates 3 days ago.

My question is should p04 be this high already? I'm nervous about the hannah checkers since one was bad.

75 gallon 4' tank, 10 gallon sump. No mechanical filtration. Skimmer also on the way I dropped mine and broke it. ( sad day). Thank you.

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 can swing up and down quite a bit during the first few months while the tank matures. It can (and will) leach in and out of rocks as the parameters swing.

To ensure you don't have testing error: The colorimeter is sensitive to oil on the glass, sediment in the water and microbubbles. It helps to try to rinse the inside with RODI before and after use, keep bare hands (oil) off the glass, and tap any bubbles to the top before the testing phase. In my own tank, I have found much better results pulling tank water post-filter.

At levels that high you should also easily see the water discolouration from the reagents after the test. If it still looks super clear it might be a bad unit.

Sorry for rambling! If you determine the reading is really that high, it's almost assuredly from leaching from the rocks. You can slowly run GFO and try to lower it steadily and slowly.

Lastly, you might want to read this thread regarding magnesium testing from our resident reef chemist. :)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a high reading, but not dangerous to fish. As previously mentioned, P can leach out of dry rock.

OP
OP
whammack

whammack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 can swing up and down quite a bit during the first few months while the tank matures. It can (and will) leach in and out of rocks as the parameters swing.

To ensure you don't have testing error: The colorimeter is sensitive to oil on the glass, sediment in the water and microbubbles. It helps to try to rinse the inside with RODI before and after use, keep bare hands (oil) off the glass, and tap any bubbles to the top before the testing phase. In my own tank, I have found much better results pulling tank water post-filter.

At levels that high you should also easily see the water discolouration from the reagents after the test. If it still looks super clear it might be a bad unit.

Sorry for rambling! If you determine the reading is really that high, it's almost assuredly from leaching from the rocks. You can slowly run GFO and try to lower it steadily and slowly.

Lastly, you might want to read this thread regarding magnesium testing from our resident reef chemist. :)

I will run a new test and check the color change after I add the regents. I use a microfiber cloth to clean I also keep distilled water in the vile. While storing them.

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Newish tank setup with dry rock. My PO4 was high for a while and then started to swing up and down daily. Just ride it out. Don’t add anything to remove it yet, see what the tank does. Eventually it will settle down. Just keep testing at least every other day (or daily if you want).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back