Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO as I am thinking about a new system I am wondering about roller mats VS Ozone.

they seem to have a similar function just a different way of going about it.

do you think running Ozone with a roller mat is a wast? I fancy the idea of Ozone if the apex ORP prob will work...I like that there is less wast in the ozone route over roller mats.

I am thinking of using the roller mat on a sea horse build and the ozone on a fish only system.
thoughts?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is not going to remove any particulate matter and a roller mat is not going to brake down organics. Their functions do not really overlap. Go with both.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is not going to remove any particulate matter and a roller mat is not going to brake down organics. Their functions do not really overlap. Go with both.
I would like to but the sump i am looking at not sure the roller mat will fit. BUT I was going to use filter floss changes 3X a week, ozone, skimmer, fuge and UV.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use socks and ozone. I only suggested using the roller mat based on your thread title. Either way I don't see the two options as a vs one another, more like one complementing the other while working together.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Sean. They are two totally different things.

I have both, but I don't run the Ozone yet on my new build. A Red Sea Reefmat is the best purchase I've made in my almost 30 years with the hobby. Keeps the water sparkling clean and I never have to mess with changing filter pads or filter socks.

Ozone is something you need to have setup correctly or you can get into a bit of trouble and cause harm to your livestock and equipment.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Sean. They are two totally different things.

I have both, but I don't run the Ozone yet on my new build. A Red Sea Reefmat is the best purchase I've made in my almost 30 years with the hobby. Keeps the water sparkling clean and I never have to mess with changing filter pads or filter socks.

Ozone is something you need to have setup correctly or you can get into a bit of trouble and cause harm to your livestock and equipment.
I agree about seting it up correct but with an ORP prob. set conveniently one should be good to go? unless I am missing something, sounds easier than CA reactors and some dosing methods. IDK famous last words eh? haha

my last big-ish tank I had problems keeping the N&P up of course it was under stocked.
on this tank i would use Ozone just to keep water supper clear and use other methods of removal.

I guess the question now is when to start ozone from the get go or after it stocked?

CLICK TO VIEW
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back