Comments please on pics of my disappointing tank…

BRS
OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good bud, everyone’s tanks goes through a phase where it matures , but as long as you keep doing what you’re doing throw in a cleanup crew. You’ll be just fine! Patience!
Thank you. The tank looks better since I kept my hands out for a couple of days now. Very impressive snails I bought. Nassarius Astrea and … something else….

njreefkeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“… which may fuel dinos like a water change …” LOL …yet I thought water changes were the way to get rid of algae and dinos…! I think a spell of leaving well alone may be in order. Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone.
Can’t look at Dinos and algae as the same animal. Dinos rarely if ever show up in established tanks with mature bacterial density. Dinoflagellates are one of the first organisms on earth and very resilient. Algae pretty much comes from two things…a lopsided Redfield ratio of nitrogen to phosphorous and/or excessive nutrients. It’s mostly clean tanks with dry rock that hasn’t been aged that gets Dinos. A water change essentially serves to make a tank cleaner and anyone who’s had Dinos can attest that a water change made things worse as the boost of trace elements fed the dino bloom. HTH.

CLICK TO VIEW

n00bReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I am disappointed with my new set up. 7 months old. Red Sea reefer 250. Roller mat, Red Sea skimmer 350 and TMC ilumenaire+ led lighting. Nitrates 9.0. Phosphate 0.09. Salinity 1.025. Temperature 80. Calcium 500 and Mag 1500. Daily 2% water changes (TM Coral Pro salt). Have raised Alk to 8.1 over 7 months.
I do not mind so much the greenness of my (all dry) rocks. Zoas are growing slowly. Little growth on a few SPS frags. Lost a few SPS frags. After 7 months am I on the right lines or struggling? Any comments much appreciated. Thanks all.

View attachment 3164334 View attachment 3164335
Looks nice! Eventually you'll get some pretty purple algae! That said you may need some more CuC to handle the growth a bit.

Gobi1canobi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks on the right track to me. Everyone's tank matures at different rates. A little surface algae and some diatoms are nothing to sweat over.

Keep up the good work and be patient.

I think mine is a little older but I'm fighting the good fight with you.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back