Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SpecraPure MaxCap90, a Smart buddy pump which flushes the membrane every time it's turned on for the first 30 seconds and a valve to divert the first few gallons of water out of the membrane to take care of TDS creep. When I turn the water on it flushes the membrane for 30 seconds and then my TDS starts high out of the membrane for about 3 or 4 minutes until it gets to 2 TDS. I have this water going into the drain out of the membrane until it's 2 TDS, so I know I'm only sending 2 TDS to the first DI canister. I check TDS in-line and with a good handheld...it's 2 TDS (handheld usually says 1). My problem is that what comes out of my 1st DI is usually around 17-25 TDS for a few minutes going to the 2nd DI and finally goes down to sending 0 to the 2nd DI. I've check this as well with in-line and handheld. If the membrane only ever sends 2 TDS to the first DI, how is it that after the unit sits for a few weeks the 1st DI has 17 TDS in it? I added a valve to divert the 1st DI to the drain for a few minutes to conserve the 2nd DI. Is this normal? How is that happening?

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SpecraPure MaxCap90, a Smart buddy pump which flushes the membrane every time it's turned on for the first 30 seconds and a valve to divert the first few gallons of water out of the membrane to take care of TDS creep. When I turn the water on it flushes the membrane for 30 seconds and then my TDS starts high out of the membrane for about 3 or 4 minutes until it gets to 2 TDS. I have this water going into the drain out of the membrane until it's 2 TDS, so I know I'm only sending 2 TDS to the first DI canister. I check TDS in-line and with a good handheld...it's 2 TDS (handheld usually says 1). My problem is that what comes out of my 1st DI is usually around 17-25 TDS for a few minutes going to the 2nd DI and finally goes down to sending 0 to the 2nd DI. I've check this as well with in-line and handheld. If the membrane only ever sends 2 TDS to the first DI, how is it that after the unit sits for a few weeks the 1st DI has 17 TDS in it? I added a valve to divert the 1st DI to the drain for a few minutes to conserve the 2nd DI. Is this normal? How is that happening?
If I'm understanding - you're saying - when your system is off - initially the TDS of the end product water starts out higher than 0 - then falls to 0. This is normal behavior - and probably relates to something that is being flushed out of the tubing if it's sat for a while.

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding - you're saying - when your system is off - initially the TDS of the end product water starts out higher than 0 - then falls to 0. This is normal behavior - and probably relates to something that is being flushed out of the tubing if it's sat for a while.
Yeah, sort of. The water going into the first DI has never been higher than 2 but after it sits for a few weeks that 1st DI sends out like 17-26 or so for maybe 30 seconds or so and returns to 0. So basically because water is sitting at the top and in the tube for a few weeks the TDS goes up, right? I'll continue to run that to the drain for a minute before sending to the 2nd DI. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back