+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Those 2 come from the Caribbean. However, I don't see them next to each other in any photos/videos of nature I've watched.
I fear the anemone could sting and in a 120L it's not ideal in terms of space, what I've noticed is jawfish or often in place of the emptiness of sand and pebble.
I'm in a situation where I might have to get those 2 together.

I would like to know your experience with Rock Flower Anemones and Yellowhead Jawfish.
Pictures from wikipedia.

220px-Opistognathus_aurifrons.jpg
Rock_Flower_Anemone.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep them at least 6” separated. The jawfish will dig its burrows and will not stray far from it. Like at most 6-12” from the burrow and it will only go that far to get food or building materials. RFA’s usually stay put for the most part, so it shouldn’t be a problem,

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they were right next to eachother, an RFA’s sting is one of the stings that rarely affects larger prey such as fish. You’d more likely find a BTA eating a fish then you would an RFA.

The other thing is, many of the animals we keep are rarely near eachother in the wild yet they all get along. It’s rare you’ll find an Angel near to an RFA, yet they still don’t affect eachother.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arrg sorry, the forum screw me over once again, my phrase got "eaten".
I was wondering if anyone had experience with those 2 together at the same time.

I know their behavior individually but not at the same time, I'm curious.
Gosh I hate this forum we can't edit post

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arrg sorry, the forum screw me over once again, my phrase got "eaten".
I was wondering if anyone had experience with those 2 together at the same time.

I know their behavior individually but not at the same time, I'm curious.
Gosh I hate this forum we can't edit post
I have experience with this species and a similar (more ‘dangerous’) anemone - the Mini Maxi Carpet anemone. These guys really aren’t like other slow moving fish and are much more cautious and know their surroundings.
As I said above, it’s unlikely one of these guys will be found eaten by a smaller anemone.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any interaction, like by accident the fish eating a piece of food near the anemone and getting stung by accident, like just touching?
Or maybe things like the fish want the spot and try to swoop away the rock flower via the bottom/feet (I doubt it happens but never know).

My only concern is the lack of space I'm expecting just indifference from the fish towards the anemone, the problem with the Rock Flower anemone is that takes some of the space that could have been great for the fish.

World Wide Corals

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any interaction, like by accident the fish eating a piece of food near the anemone and getting stung by accident, like just touching?
Or maybe things like the fish want the spot and try to swoop away the rock flower via the bottom/feet (I doubt it happens but never know).

My only concern is the lack of space I'm expecting just indifference from the fish towards the anemone, the problem with the Rock Flower anemone is that takes some of the space that could have been great for the fish.
Not sure this helps, but below is my old nem tank. I had a few jawfish in there and never had any issues. While not the jaw fish you are looking into, should be about the same.

Not once did I lose one or have any issues from them being stung, from what I could see. I was just sure to add them via a container and not to where they could frantically swim into an nem. With that said, we are talking about tons of massive carpets, RFA, mini maxi, and all sorts of other nems.

The sawfish now reside in my 180 and it also has a ton of nems. Not as many as the nem tank was, but their are land mines everywhere lol. No issues in there either.

Here are the jawfish. If you look closely at the first pic, there is a bta to the left.
CDFFEEEF-90B7-43ED-937E-7776DF50D542.jpeg
12D612F7-74A7-4FA9-9663-51EE28DC593B.jpeg
2A57CAD3-50DD-4C27-8571-BEFBA7FEAA48.jpeg

Here is the nem tank. ( I miss this setup lol)

tempImageYWJ5sy.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals
Corals.com

Tchung23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, have you noticed anything, any behavior, or simply pure ignorance?
How big is your aquarium and how is the aquascape?
Here’s a pic of my tank. Jaw fish lives behind the Goni in the lower right hand side of the tank. Rfa is green and in centre of tank in the rocks. I also have another rfa a little higher in the tank.

Attachments

• B9B4BAB0-DF62-46EF-9BE5-6D7B978A4D92.jpeg
    B9B4BAB0-DF62-46EF-9BE5-6D7B978A4D92.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 16
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back