RO/DI unit issues

valley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m having problems with my brs 4 stage ro/di unit. I’ve had the unit since December 2023. When the filters went bad and started to produce bad water, I changed them out and also upgraded the unit using the 150gpd water saver upgrade and booster pump kit on the brs site. Since then, the ro/di unit has only worked well once and it was the same day that I added all the new parts.

The first issue that I had was high tds water being produced even though I had just swapped out the sediment, carbon, and resin canisters. This issue randomly went away though. One day, I set up the rodi to make water and troubleshoot the issue but the unit magically decided to produce 0 tds water.

The second issue that I faced was with the flush valve/flow restrictor. The flush valve would not work when the water is on but it would when the water is turned off. What I mean by this is that when the water was on, the knob on the flush valve would lift up slightly and be able to be turned 360° without being able to flush the system. This issue is still recurring and I already contacted brs about it. They only offered to send out a replacement flush valve which didn’t work and then they said they can’t help because the unit is still making water and this is a rare issue that no one else has had.

The final problem is that my rodi unit is not producing any waste water. Water is still coming out of the product line perfectly fine and the tds meter is saying it’s 0 tds but isn’t there supposed to be a lot of waste water coming out? I’m not sure how long it’s been like this but I have been using the product water for my tanks and they’re perfectly fine. I will probably end up buying another rodi unit from a different brand but can I use the water this unit is making for the meantime? It’s pretty sketchy because of all the issues it’s had.

For reference, the pressure is at 80psi and all the connections are correct.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first issue that I had was high tds water being produced even though I had just swapped out the sediment, carbon, and resin canisters. This issue randomly went away though. decided to produce 0 tds water.

It isn't magic; even new RODI filters will show a few TDS when first running water through it. It goes away after a few minutes. After that, you can start collecting water.

The second issue that I faced was with the flush valve/flow restrictor. The flush valve would not work when the water is on but it would when the water is turned off. What I mean by this is that when the water was on, the knob on the flush valve would lift up slightly and be able to be turned 360° without being able to flush the system. This issue is still recurring and I already contacted brs about it. They only offered to send out a replacement flush valve which didn’t work and then they said they can’t help because the unit is still making water and this is a rare issue that no one else has had.

Did you install the flush valve backwards?

The final problem is that my rodi unit is not producing any waste water. Water is still coming out of the product line perfectly fine and the tds meter is saying it’s 0 tds but isn’t there supposed to be a lot of waste water coming out? I’m not sure how long it’s been like this but I have been using the product water for my tanks and they’re perfectly fine. I will probably end up buying another rodi unit from a different brand but can I use the water this unit is making for the meantime? It’s pretty sketchy because of all the issues it’s had.

For reference, the pressure is at 80psi and all the connections are correct.

I'm uncertain as to why you are not producing any waste water. I typically get 1 gallon of usable water for every 5 gallons I run through the filter (1 gallon usable, 4 gallons thrown away).

OP
OP
V

valley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't magic; even new RODI filters will show a few TDS when first running water through it. It goes away after a few minutes. After that, you can start collecting water.

Did you install the flush valve backwards?

I'm uncertain as to why you are not producing any waste water. I typically get 1 gallon of usable water for every 5 gallons I run through the filter (1 gallon usable, 4 gallons thrown away).
The first issue I had took about 2 weeks before it started to show 0 tds. I remember letting it run for a good amount of time too.

As for the flush valve, it is installed correctly. I followed the instructions for it and the brs support has confirmed my connections are all correct.

This is just an odd unit I have. I just connected it and it is not producing 0 tds water anymore. It is producing 50+ tds water with an unreadable amount of tds water going in even though my source water has less than 20 tds.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first issue I had took about 2 weeks before it started to show 0 tds. I remember letting it run for a good amount of time too.

As for the flush valve, it is installed correctly. I followed the instructions for it and the brs support has confirmed my connections are all correct.

This is just an odd unit I have. I just connected it and it is not producing 0 tds water anymore. It is producing 50+ tds water with an unreadable amount of tds water going in even though my source water has less than 20 tds.
Did you make sure the membranes are seated correctly?

Photos will help also.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call us when you are in front of the system if you still need help.

Russ

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back