Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wants a peninsula style tank as a room divider and I just cannot justify the cost of a custom tank (GC or Planet Aquariums) vs a standard 180g. I've been thinking about adding an external overflow to a 180g, but can't find any pictures of what a rimmed tank looks like with an external overflow in terms of water height. I'm also curious about noise, I've seen it mentioned that the staggered overflow for a rimmed tank creates additional noise.

Anyone have a setup like this that could share advice or pictures?

World Wide Corals

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much help but I have a 180 rimmed tank with 2 hob over flows on the back. They are kind of noisy. By the time you buy the 180, drill it, build /buy a stand and the fact that your wife wants a peninsula tank as a room divider I would be all over one of these while they are on sale. You could even go with a INT if you wanted to hide the plumbing. I don't think a rimmed tank really would look nice as a room divider. JMO
Screenshot_20221128-090104_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price on those IM tank is so ridiculous (in a good way), so you are probably right. The only issue was that the Nuvo 100 was a little smaller than I wanted and the Nuvo 150 doesn't come peninsula style. I hadn't thought about the 200...

Given that a basic 180g is probably pushing $1300-1400, plus the cost of the overflow and custom stand, I am going to end up spending as much on that and getting a much lower quality setup!

Top Shelf Aquatics

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a DIY external overflow on an oceanic 58g about two decades ago - it worked, but was a bit of work. The internal box is going to determine water height, and generally the inside of the trim is above the glass (not 'beside' it like on the outside), so you're clear on the inside.

It's really going to depend on the specifics of the tank itself and the overflow you choose.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a large eshopps overflow kit to a standard 75 gallon rimmed tank.
Worked out very well with 1 small issue. The templet they provide had me drill the hole a little low so that the water line was about a 1/2" below the rim. Too low imo. A easy fix was to add a piece of acrylic to the inside of the overflow box ( inside piece) that raised the water level in the box and raised the water level inside the tank.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my HOB overflow. The cat blanket completely silenced it but I'm working on a better (prettier) solution. It was very loud without it though. It's the Eshopps HOB btw and its adjustable so you can have whatever water level height you want.

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 41
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back