Right way to use Bio Blocks .. not working for me.

Ecotech Marine

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft tank with fish only ... 8 large species currently medium size (5 to 7 inches) and 4 medium species at 3 inch size ...

I have Large Octo Skimmer (like 200Sss or higher)
2 Octo Varios 8 DC pump in sump and 3 powerheads (2100 gph current usa) and 2 long 6 ft current usa light that i turn on for 3 hours only .

As you can see in attached image - water from DT flows drom left into 2 filter cups (with mechanical filter pads that i cjange 2x weekly. Then water comes to skimmer (runs 24x7) and then water flows thru fuge area (no macro-algae) where i Large bio blocks .. 4 big 4in x 8 in x 8 in and 1 big 2 in x 8 in x 8 in slab. I also have a GFO reactor in the same area of sump. The water then flows into right most chamber that has 2 big DC pump that takes water back to DT...

I doze 6 ml NOPox daily (no drip, jump spread in DT directly thru syringe).

I change 30% of water every 3-4 weeks with 0 TDS RODI water.

My tank had ich and may be fluke outbreak 15 months back ... added 4 new fishes ... i had to use copper and prazi ... cleared all disease and no diseqse for last 14 months and i did not add any fish for last 15 months.

So aquarium has been stable but eater has 25 to 50 nitrate very low phosphate... i have large amount of Cyano bacteria in tank always :( i blow them every 3-4 weeks .. change 30% water (lot of broken pieces of Cyano stays in tank).

I love to set up best machine do not like to too much time (nor have skills) - so i will prefer stay just fish only (i was FOWLR at one time ...

I do feed heavy .. my fishes are fat and healthy ...

1. Any change i can do to keep things simple (and lazy) but clean system for my fishes?
2. How can i lower my nitrate and still keep fishes fat?
3. Reduce my water change - may be change once 2 or more months..
4. I do not understand why my BioBlocks do not work - do they work?
5. should the bio blocks be after before Skimmer so water coming to BioBlock is less oxygenated?
6. What is best lazy self-sustaining way of keeping nitrate and phosphate low in g8sh only or fowlr?

Amit.

20201012_205143.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure your bio blocks are working fine where they are. If your just looking for the lazy way just try some chemiclean and don't stress about nitrates and phosphates.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a bit of phosphate, until it’s detectable. Then gradually increase your dose of NOPOX to brink your nitrates down.
Currently I am running GFO ... so stopping GFO should increase phosphate ... achieve what you shared? I did that for 3-4 weeks ... did not help ..

One of expert shared that since I have Cyano continuously ... I must have a lot of Phosphate already and Cyano is using them ...

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure your bio blocks are working fine where they are. If your just looking for the lazy way just try some chemiclean and don't stress about nitrates and phosphates.
Chemiclean ... how much would you recommend for 240G tank ... Nitrate at 50 ...? How often would you recommend? Is there any side effect to Chemiclean?

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding Copepods/ PODs be of any use ... thinking of moving from "Fish-only" to FOWLR ... I am sure I have the bacterias ... but I see 0 sponges ... and I used to have them 1.3 years back (before copper treatment) ... that tells me my tank does not have life organisms ... and wondering what could I do to develop organisms ... and is that helpful for "Lazy Large Tank - focused on fishes - no interest in adding corals"?

Nutramar Foods

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to have a good population of bacteria in any kind of bio filter (blocks or otherwise) if you are interfering with organic carbon or GFO. You are driving the consumption into the water column and surfaces rather than in the anoxic areas.

If you want to handle all of this yourself, then look at a sulfur denitrator.

To keep the reef type of things like pods and sponges, it is best to be more near to NSW levels of N and P. You don't have to be all the way to .1 and .005-.01, but closer is better.

csb123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I am running GFO ... so stopping GFO should increase phosphate ... achieve what you shared? I did that for 3-4 weeks ... did not help ..

One of expert shared that since I have Cyano continuously ... I must have a lot of Phosphate already and Cyano is using them ...

If you are confident that you won’t “bottom out” phosphate, the just start increasing your NOPOX, until your nitrates reach your target range. In my 300 gallon reef, I use 70mL of DIY NOPOX daily.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean ... how much would you recommend for 240G tank ... Nitrate at 50 ...? How often would you recommend? Is there any side effect to Chemiclean?
Just follow the instructions. I am 10000% against dumping chemicals in my tank but after battling cyano for a few years I tried one dose and chemiclean and I have never seen cyano since.

Is your skimmer working good? If so I would add some live rocks and sit back and enjoy.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back