RFA torn at the mouth

RippinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda wondering what the heck happened to my rock flower. I started doing my weekly testing on my 24g aio tank- I noticed this rfa, that I’ve had at least 8 months, was going for a walk. Weird because it has never moved done it chose that spot. No changes in flow or parameters. I pulled it from the tank and noticed it looked “ripped” from the mouth area. I placed it in my invert qt because I don’t know if it could “nuke” my display like bta… after about 30 mins I checked on it and now my cleaner shrimp is eating it? The first two photos are when I placed it in the qt, showing the damage. Video is once the shrimp discovered it, maybe 30 mins after placing in the qt. After about 20 mins the shrimp left it alone, and the rfa crawled and mounted to a rock(last photo) So strange. Any ideas? I feed the tank heavy, so doubt someone got hungry… The tank it came from has 2 clowns, 1 fire fish, 6 line, a red head goby and a fire shrimp. I think there’s 2 hermits and the rest of the cuc are snails. No new additions within the last month. I have two other healthy RFA in the tank. Current parameters, very steady imo.
Alk: 8.5dkh
Nitrate: 5.4
Phos: .05
Mag: 1350
Cal: 439
Sal: 1.026
Ph: 8
IMG_0714.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg IMG_0693.jpeg IMG_0704.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0695.mov
    19.6 MB

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I had a Duncan I would spot feed and then the shrimp would rob it blind. Always...
The coral became a beacon for food.

Eventually this constant interaction led to its downfall. GL.

OP
OP
RippinReefs

RippinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I had a Duncan I would spot feed and then the shrimp would rob it blind. Always...
The coral became a beacon for food.

Eventually this constant interaction led to its downfall. GL.
This is the only logical answer I could come up with in my head. Maybe my fire shrimp is being greedy once the lights go out? Might be time to rehome it. Thanks for the response

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back