Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That i can get. Was under the impression that Chlorine was a big no go. Even have that stuff at home. But i guess it will be alot of rinsing and so on after the process?

It's widely used in swimming pools, so you can get full strength Chlorine and Muriatic acid in same store, lol

Yes, lots of rinsing...
Hence boiling, just wanted to be 100% sure to remove all traces of the bleach, lol

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's widely used in swimming pools, so you can get full strength Chlorine and Muriatic acid in same store, lol
Muriatic acid i know for a fact is not widely available here, think its the same with full strenght chlorine. But as a cleaning agent its readily available

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main point isnt to steralize :) thats all, just to clean and reset it without having to much dirt left. Since its like 1500 siporax 50 maxspect bioballs and 6 maxspect biobricks its alot of cleaning if even half of them have vermitide on them which they pretty much have :)

will have a fishroom and alot more real estate than i know what to use it for :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: the display will be a reefer 625 xxl and total system volume about 550 US gallons.

If you want to reuse them, and again I want to state that I am strongly against biobricks (they have little benefit just sitting in a sump and often fall apart), then let them sit in a bucket with a pump and a heater and let them cure like you would with rock. These bricks are extremely fragile and I'd imagine any acid bath would be disasterous.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to reuse them, and again I want to state that I am strongly against biobricks (they have little benefit just sitting in a sump and often fall apart), then let them sit in a bucket with a pump and a heater and let them cure like you would with rock. These bricks are extremely fragile and I'd imagine any acid bath would be disasterous.
I've played with the idea. Im gonna use a big industrial plasticbin holding about 650 litres. Im debating useing bucket refugium / buckets with media and whatnot to create different zones.

Regarding them falling appart i doubt the maxspects are as fragile as other biobricks. Had them for a couple of years and they have been rock solid. But in 10 years who knows? Any sign of them falling apart and they're out.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've played with the idea. Im gonna use a big industrial plasticbin holding about 650 litres. Im debating useing bucket refugium / buckets with media and whatnot to create different zones.

Regarding them falling appart i doubt the maxspects are as fragile as other biobricks. Had them for a couple of years and they have been rock solid. But in 10 years who knows? Any sign of them falling apart and they're out.

That is good that they have held up :)

Are you wanting to use the bricks for anaerobic purposes?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness, i get the hint. But the base question presists. Sterilization isnt necessary but its desireble. I believe i got the awnsers i needed and will go ahead and do as I see fit i guess.
Milton fluid (Baby sterilisation fluid) or similar, can you get hold of that.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good that they have held up :)

Are you wanting to use the bricks for anaerobic purposes?
Its gonna be a mix i believe. 1 zone for denitrification, 1 zone for anaerobic mixed media and rubble, might throw in a DSB or something aswell. And lastly a zone with a fuge.

Rit6942

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak em in white vinegar for an afternoon/day.......rinse off w water........put em all in a big nylon mesh pouch n use em...........way overthinking this.......i have a few large reef tanks both have refugiums w dsb and a ton of live rock and i personally still use bio balls in a vacant sump chamber to help with ammonia and nitrite breakdown........

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak em in white vinegar for an afternoon/day.......rinse off w water........put em all in a big nylon mesh pouch n use em...........way overthinking this.......i have a few large reef tanks both have refugiums w dsb and a ton of live rock and i personally still use bio balls in a vacant sump chamber to help with ammonia and nitrite breakdown........
You're probably right :)

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back