+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Im looking for ways to reset previously used (now dry) biomedia. Have some maxspect blocks and balls along with some siporax. All bacteria long dead and so on. Bleach is not an option. Would citric acid work? Or what would you recommend?

The media will be rinsed and seeded for some time after and im in no hurry to get it done at this very moment.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Citric acid is more for breaking down calcium buildup and could destroy some biomedias I would think (I’m not sure on your media).

if bleach isn’t an option maybe try a bunch of hydrogen peroxide?
Problem is that both is quite hard to come by in Sweden :/

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious why you need those in a reef tank instead of rocks ?
Building a large system and have them by hand so why not use them :)
If the biomedia is dry I would imagine anything living on it is dead (I could be wrong). Maybe just wash and soak it in RODI water for a period to let anything leech out then...use it...
That is a metod yes :)

BRS

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is that both is quite hard to come by in Sweden :/
Oh dang. I’m not sure what else you could use honestly. Maybe just soak them and let them cure in a bucket or something if there is a lot of gunk on them. And blast with a baster or something. Otherwise I would think short soak and rinse in rodi water would be good enough if they don’t seem too bad.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media will be rinsed and seeded for some time after and im in no hurry to get it done at this very moment.
If you're using this to start a new system, then I'd just rinse it and add to the tank. Any organics will just feed the nitrifying bacteria and help with the cycle.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using this to start a new system, then I'd just rinse it and add to the tank. Any organics will just feed the nitrifying bacteria and help with the cycle.
Yeah, making it sterile isnt necessary. It will be seeded with bacteria and such. What id like it to get of old vermitids and other calciumstuctures

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness, i get the hint. But the base question presists. Sterilization isnt necessary but its desireble. I believe i got the awnsers i needed and will go ahead and do as I see fit i guess.
I'm sorry, I thought you didn't care if it was sterilized.

Good luck!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I thought you didn't care if it was sterilized.

Good luck!
The main point isnt to steralize :) thats all, just to clean and reset it without having to much dirt left. Since its like 1500 siporax 50 maxspect bioballs and 6 maxspect biobricks its alot of cleaning if even half of them have vermitide on them which they pretty much have :)
I just wouldn't use them. Those biobricks are a nightmare if they fall apart in the sump. All they will do is take up space that you could use for something else.
will have a fishroom and alot more real estate than i know what to use it for :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: the display will be a reefer 625 xxl and total system volume about 550 US gallons.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleached mine for 24 hours, then soaked in tap, then rinsed really well. I then boiled in RODI, and you would be surprised what boiled off. I cleaned siporax, FWIW. Boiling will kill bacteria and get deeply into pores.
I have no doubt in that :) Bleach is hard to come by. What type of bleach do you use in the US? Chlorine based or peroxide based? Guessing Peroxide since Chlorineis quite harmful to live in our glasboxes :eek:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt in that :) Bleach is hard to come by. What type of bleach do you use in the US? Chlorine based or peoxide based?

Chlorine based
Very easy to come by here. I was surprised how effective boiling was, organics formed on top as a brownish foam.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back