Removing hitchhikers from live rock with corals on it

seth.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on upgrading to a bigger tank soon and I want to transfer all my corals to the new tank. The problem is that I have Zoa colonies that are fully engulfing large rocks but I don’t want to introduce all of the hitchhikers to the new tank. How would I go about completely cleansing the rock whilst keeping the zoas on it alive so I can transfer to the new tank hitchhiker-less. Mostly wanting to remove the huge amount of fire worms in the tank and I noticed a small amount of Dino’s on the rock and sand( currently dosing bacteria and h2o2 for that)

Additional information/ reasoning/ goal

The current tank is a 40 cube that I bought used/established

I’m looking to upgrade into a 100-120 gallon tank

I’m wanting to build the ecosystem from the ground up so I have a good since of what is in the tank and hinge why I want to remove any hitchhikers from my current tank before the transfer

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a hard one. If you dipped the entire rock I don't know if I would trust it in a display tank. Even after a long stay in some sort of decontamination tank to pull the dip back out. But maybe that would depend on the dip? :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back