+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opps.....Title should say Coral Beauty in rough shape. Brain fart

I was at Petco this morning, getting dog food.....and happened to glance at their tanks. They had a coral beauty angel with obvious Ich. The fish person said that he had been swimming and eating well (mysis), but also recognized the signs of Ick.

I bought him (talked her down to $30) to see if I could 'save' him....I know....silly idea.

But I already had an empty QT tank, cycled, and with no other fish in it currently.

I have dosed an half dose of CopperSafe, and will dose another either tonight - or tomorrow.....unless, it is recommended that I bring it up to full dose quickly as he seems to be breathing heavily, and is covered in ich.

This is my first time using CopperSafe (I have the Hanna copper tester)....

so am looking for expert - quick advice!

I tried reading the forums - but there was so much information - that I thought I should ask directly!

Also.....would it help the fish if I covered the tank so that it is dark? I have the QT tank in the office and only use indirect lighting anyway.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I was at Petco this morning, getting dog food.....and happened to glance at their tanks. They had a coral beauty angel with obvious Ich. The fish person said that he had been swimming and eating well (mysis), but also recognized the signs of Ick.

I bought him (talked her down to $30) to see if I could 'save' him....I know....silly idea.

But I already had an empty QT tank, cycled, and with no other fish in it currently.

I have dosed an half dose of CopperSafe, and will dose another either tonight - or tomorrow.....unless, it is recommended that I bring it up to full dose quickly as he seems to be breathing heavily, and is covered in ich.

I tried reading the forums - but there was so much information - that I thought I should ask directly!

Also.....would it help the fish if I covered the tank so that it is dark? I have the QT tank in the office and only use indirect lighting anyway.
Do not ramp the copper- rather get to the level. Ramping copper is unadvisable as it can allow disease to be tougher to deal with. With your Coppersafe get to therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by your Hanna Brandkit. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If you can, please add a pic or two of fish to see if anything else of concern. You dont have to black out tank but you can provide high blue or low level lighting to keep fish calm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since you have the Hanna, you can get an accurate dose, so just add half dose, test, and add the second half dose and confirm you are at a full dose (2.5 ppm).

Darkening the tank to far makes it difficult for the fish to find its food. Also, there is a weird thing where if the tank is darker than the room, the fish can see clearly out of the tank, so any movement you make is going to be easily see and may frighten the fish more than if the inside of the tank is brighter than the room.

Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have the Hanna, you can get an accurate dose, so just add half dose, test, and add the second half dose and confirm you are at a full dose (2.5 ppm).

Darkening the tank to far makes it difficult for the fish to find its food. Also, there is a weird thing where if the tank is darker than the room, the fish can see clearly out of the tank, so any movement you make is going to be easily see and may frighten the fish more than if the inside of the tank is brighter than the room.

Jay
Done. I"m at 2.39 right now.

I did put a light on the tank, and he swam around for just a bit.....but is now back to laying at the bottom :-(

I'm also wondering if it is Velvet instead or as well as ick.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not ramp the copper- rather get to the level. Ramping copper is unadvisable as it can allow disease to be tougher to deal with. With your Coppersafe get to therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by your Hanna Brandkit. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If you can, please add a pic or two of fish to see if anything else of concern. You dont have to black out tank but you can provide high blue or low level lighting to keep fish calm
Thanks. I have it at full strength now. I did put on a light, and tried to get a video:

But I"m not sure how helpful it is. The QT glass is a bit dirty, and I didn't want to stress out the fish buy cleaning it. I will try again later, after I let him rest a bit.

But, if you would, could you view it and let me know what you think? He has some sand on him from the bottom....but then also spots that look like ich.....or possibly Velvet.Coral Beauty in QT

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks. I have it at full strength now. I did put on a light, and tried to get a video:

But I"m not sure how helpful it is. The QT glass is a bit dirty, and I didn't want to stress out the fish buy cleaning it. I will try again later, after I let him rest a bit.

But, if you would, could you view it and let me know what you think? He has some sand on him from the bottom....but then also spots that look like ich.....or possibly Velvet.Coral Beauty in QT
Its is a coral beauty and not regal and if im not mistaken, Its Lymphocystis and a very thin angel. Lympho is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy, brine shrimp, small plankton and mysis shrimp.
Thats assuming fish is eating. Its already breathing a little rapid. Eyes are hazy likely from poor water conditions provided - Shame on that store

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done. I"m at 2.39 right now.

I did put a light on the tank, and he swam around for just a bit.....but is now back to laying at the bottom :-(

I'm also wondering if it is Velvet instead or as well as ick.

Velvet will cause very rapid breathing, while ich doesn't cause rapid breathing until the fish is close to death from it.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back