Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only upside is that the fuge takes the nutrients out right away and takes it out of the water column, the sock has to be changed out and until it is, all the waste and food breaks down being released into the water column.

I would agree completely that the refugium is awesome at processing the waste. I just feel like a properly switched out sock 2-3 times a week would peel out the nutrients better than just adding 1 extra gallon of fuge space.

It's tough to measure or consider which filtration is doing the bulk of the filtering work- socks, fuge, skimmer all work together so well anymore its tough for me to visualize the benefits of one over the other.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to disagree, adding only 1 gallon or 1% to the fuge will not do as much nutrient export as a properly maintained sock. Giving up two socks for 1 extra gallon of refugium does not seem like an equal change for reduction of waste.

My opinion, socks do more harm than good by removing food sources for corals and filter feeders from the system. There are successful setups with and without socks so like most things, it's a matter of preference but I see no good reason to use them.

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones - I didn’t know that. I apologize. I have a AIO with Chaetomax cos size space mounting issues etc or I would have opted for H80 and I’m a Kessil fan.

Either or I’m saying Go Big. Mount high and slowly increase the photo period.
No apology needed :) The H80 is able to have the intensity lowered but the H380 is on, or off. :)

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree completely that the refugium is awesome at processing the waste. I just feel like a properly switched out sock 2-3 times a week would peel out the nutrients better than just adding 1 extra gallon of fuge space.

It's tough to measure or consider which filtration is doing the bulk of the filtering work- socks, fuge, skimmer all work together so well anymore its tough for me to visualize the benefits of one over the other.
I agree, in fact, i've been trying that the past couple weeks to help battle a hair algae problem i'm dealing with. Went from switching socks out once a week to twice a week. Sunday and wednesday :)

JBKReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, in fact, i've been trying that the past couple weeks to help battle a hair algae problem i'm dealing with. Went from switching socks out once a week to twice a week. Sunday and wednesday :)

As always, there was an interesting video BRS did with frequency of switching out socks and the nutrient export effectiveness of once a month, once a week, and once every 2-3 days I believe?

My trigger sump has a "sock overflow" that when they get too clogged water bypasses it and splashes into the skimmer section. I end up switching the socks every 3 days to keep them flowing, properly cleaning, and exporting the nutrients without having any water bypass. (It's kind of loud and is a good indication the socks need changed)

I feed reef roids after changing socks so I'm not too worried about enough food for filter feeders/corals.

OP
OP
Eggpaul

Eggpaul

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones - I didn’t know that. I apologize. I have a AIO with Chaetomax cos size space mounting issues etc or I would have opted for H80 and I’m a Kessil fan.

Either or I’m saying Go Big. Mount high and slowly increase the photo period.

I didn't know it wasn't dimmable either. Hmm

OP
OP
Eggpaul

Eggpaul

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, there was an interesting video BRS did with frequency of switching out socks and the nutrient export effectiveness of once a month, once a week, and once every 2-3 days I believe?

My trigger sump has a "sock overflow" that when they get too clogged water bypasses it and splashes into the skimmer section. I end up switching the socks every 3 days to keep them flowing, properly cleaning, and exporting the nutrients without having any water bypass. (It's kind of loud and is a good indication the socks need changed)

I feed reef roids after changing socks so I'm not too worried about enough food for filter feeders/corals.

How do you wash your socks?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you wash your socks?

I have about 14 socks that I will usualy wait till I have 10 dirty ones built up to do a load. I was them in the washing machine with a couple cap fulls of bleach... let them air dry.

I run 1 empty load to ensure all soap residue is gone, 1 load with the socks with the bleach, and then 1 more rinse to ensure all is washed away... air dry for a week or so

OP
OP
Eggpaul

Eggpaul

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 14 socks that I will usualy wait till I have 10 dirty ones built up to do a load. I was them in the washing machine with a couple cap fulls of bleach... let them air dry.

I run 1 empty load to ensure all soap residue is gone, 1 load with the socks with the bleach, and then 1 more rinse to ensure all is washed away... air dry for a week or so

Hmm, I would have to do that secretly when the wife is away...

so just a rinse won't help?

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just a rinse would be fine? I've never tried. I heard some people use a power washer on them to blast them clean.

I've seen some soak in a diluted bleach solution overnight, then dried.
Used to soak in bleach, then moved to washing machine.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a Mars off of amazon, cheaper & it works for sure. I have a single Mars LED bulb over a section about 13" wide in a 40g breeder sump & I trim a gallon of chaeto every few weeks.

DM me if you want a link to the bulb I have

jeffrey holloway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g with a Trigger emerald 39 sump on it. I run the H380 over my fuge with excellent results. I had run several other lighting options prior to the H380 with great results. I came from the school of any cheap light over the fuge will grow cheato. But after watching the BRS video on Fuge lighting I got the H380, WOW! I had been recently running a 1000w grow light good results, only draw back was the loud cooling fans and its size. Get the H380 and worry about something else.

Wildcats1023

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this light from Amazon. Works amazing. I looked at the kessil and based off of other reviews on R2R and of the course the big price difference.

UFO Led Grow Light, Growstar 150W Full Spectrum Plant Light with Cree COB and Switch for Indoor Plants Seeding, Growing and Flowering. (150w) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07312WKX2?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ive tried both and found my winner: as small as it is, the chaetomax light by Innovative marine to be very space saving and effective. In fact, it has taken my mangroves and turned them into gardens of colorful leaves.

ChaetoMax-chaetomorpha-macroalgae-led-light-770x501.jpg

OP
OP
Eggpaul

Eggpaul

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took out the sock that I had left for about a month and it explained why nitrates were high. This was disgusting! I powerwashed it in the backyard and I had to hold my breath. All that was decaying in the sump. I'm going to change the socks every 3-5 days. I watched the BRS video and it helped a lot. I was also confused about the DT water level, when I changed the sock the flow was better and everthing went back to normal.

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The H160 should be out soon if it isn't already. Its dimmable. I have the H380. I would have opted for 2 x 160s had I known they'd be out so soon.
May, I do believe.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back