+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I purchased a new tank, and it comes with all the necessary plumbing, but I would like to swap some of the included flexi tubing for hard plumbing. Pictures and questions below...

Sump_layout.jpeg
Note: Not my picture, for reference only.
Sump_dimensions.png

I was thinking to add some hard plumbing where the included union from the drain line ends instead of using the flexi tube and then add a 90-degree angle close to the sump, run another section of hard plumbing and then another union prior to another 90-degree angle going to the sump drain section.

1) Would this work, would you do it differently/better if so, how?

As you can see from the sump diagram, they use metric plumbing and don't appear to show inner diameter. The sump drain fitting show a 32mm outer diameter or at least that's my interpretation. CoralVue is a distributer for this tank and has metric fittings available.

2) I asked them but still awaiting a response. Would I need all fittings, union, and pipe to be 32mm?

Trying to make sure I know which and all parts needed so I can order. Not sure if I need reducing coupling or if it would be better to get the metric to standard converters. Trying to keep it simple as this would be my first plumb sump.

https://www.coralvue.com/metric-fittings?product_list_limit=30

@Connor At CoralVue

AS

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should be able to find the metric to English adapters from BRS which allows you to use standard plumbing if you choose. For some reason, I thought that a 1" PVC would fit down into the fitting on the OCTO sump.

Nutramar Foods

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @Peace River, I believe their OS-30A does have a 1” drain but the OS-30B seems to be only available with the Reef Octopus Lux T series tanks which uses metric.
That makes sense. You still should be able to use the adapters from BRS and then use English PVC in the middle. Good luck with whatever you use!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this one more time. Decided to go all metric but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

Should I use unions, coupling or both coming off the supplied pipes? My thought was to use couplers on the (vertical run) coming off the tank as they provided unions in that connection and then unions in the bottom (horizontal) section to the sump.

IMG_0743.JPEG

Also does it matter if I use 90 degree or 2 45-degree elbows? My understanding is that this is important for the return line vs the drain is this a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back